1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing!? Please help

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by katie_archer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I need some real help!

I am an NQT and although we are nearing the end of the year I am still in term 4 as I was off work for 2 months.

I suffered stress as a result of difficult family situation and the pressures of my PGCE and NQT.

I am having issues with my mentor. He seems to believe that I should now be up and running smoothly and insist that I am clearly not listening to him when he gives me tasks. Most notably I was pulled into a meeting with 2 other full time and long term members of staff. We were being criticised for not using the new marking scheme- I explained that maybe I hadn't fully understood and if it had been modelled for me in the first instance I wouldn't have been in this situation now- Nevertheless I was being treated equal to those other members of staff- which, as an NQT I found upsetting and highly unfair.

Since then I have had a major breakdown on confidence with my mentor, mainly because I sat in tears throughout the whole meeting and nothing was said towards my welfare.

If I am not doing something up to par I am told that I *don't listen* or am *just too disorganised* or that my mentor is sick of telling me what he has already told me a hundred times before.

Now- I'm not pleading victim here- I understand that I am not getting everything right- but I'm sure thats what was part and parcel to being an NQT? If my mentor actually really thought about it, he could see I have been trying to implement everything that he asks, but if it isn't this gets looked over. Then if I don't get it right first time, he will tell me. But if I make a mistake again I have to take full responsibility. The most recent scarer being that If i didn't get my marking correct I would be disciplined by my HOF and my Head.

I'm fed up and I know that he is going to take me into another meeting to ask why I am still getting things wrong... I don't feel like coming into work tomorrow. I feel like no one is on my side! Please, any advice!?

Thanks

2. I need some real help!

I am an NQT and although we are nearing the end of the year I am still in term 4 as I was off work for 2 months.

I suffered stress as a result of difficult family situation and the pressures of my PGCE and NQT.

I am having issues with my mentor. He seems to believe that I should now be up and running smoothly and insist that I am clearly not listening to him when he gives me tasks. Most notably I was pulled into a meeting with 2 other full time and long term members of staff. We were being criticised for not using the new marking scheme- I explained that maybe I hadn't fully understood and if it had been modelled for me in the first instance I wouldn't have been in this situation now- Nevertheless I was being treated equal to those other members of staff- which, as an NQT I found upsetting and highly unfair.

Since then I have had a major breakdown on confidence with my mentor, mainly because I sat in tears throughout the whole meeting and nothing was said towards my welfare.

If I am not doing something up to par I am told that I *don't listen* or am *just too disorganised* or that my mentor is sick of telling me what he has already told me a hundred times before.

Now- I'm not pleading victim here- I understand that I am not getting everything right- but I'm sure thats what was part and parcel to being an NQT? If my mentor actually really thought about it, he could see I have been trying to implement everything that he asks, but if it isn't this gets looked over. Then if I don't get it right first time, he will tell me. But if I make a mistake again I have to take full responsibility. The most recent scarer being that If i didn't get my marking correct I would be disciplined by my HOF and my Head.

I'm fed up and I know that he is going to take me into another meeting to ask why I am still getting things wrong... I don't feel like coming into work tomorrow. I feel like no one is on my side! Please, any advice!?

Thanks

3. What your mentor should do is address the problems and try to solve the problem rather than attacking you as an individual. From that perspective the management of people is one of the hardest things to get right and often the major problem in schools. It is easier to blae an individual than look at why things are going wrong and what can be done about it.
    There should be a separation of the role as a mentor for induction and as a manager of a department.
    If the mentor is fed up of repeating things there is a simple solution - write it and send it to the individual - an e-mail or a good old fashioned memo! That way it helps to ensure that you get one message and if, it has been spelled out then it covers the manager and they can apportion blame if necessary. Your welfare is very important - if you are stressed and not functioning then of course you will not do a good job.
    So you could take the initiative and request a meeting and tell the HoD what you need to enable you to work at peak efficiency and peak performance.
    1. short but explicit instructions for tasks in writing (e.g. in an e-mail)
    2. Exemplars of the marking so that you can do exactlyb what he/she wants first time
    3. Recognition of any positive aspects of your work - so that you know that there are things you are getting right.
    Put it like this - if you only told a pupil what they did wrong, expected them to 'get' what you are teaching about first time and always in the style that YOU want to give it, you would not be a good teacher. Well the same is true for asdults - we also like prasie, we also like clear instructions and we also like to have things modelled so that we can learn. Yourt HOD may say that as an adult you are different from the children, butthe fact is that in any workplace and at any age the rules for creating a positive working environment are much the same as those for the classroom.
    If you put this in writing to him/her and it is ignored, if they decide to 'attack' again you can poiunt out that you have tried to say what would be helpful and what you need but you were ignored.
    The Sage

4. Thanks for the help-
    Really constructive. I am seeing my mentor/HOF (same in one) tomorrow and I will broach these areas.
    I think this should really help. If I need further advice can I just re-post? Or would I need to start a new thread?
    Thanks
    Katie :)

5. Repost if it is general or contact me using the private messaging system. Don't post here things that would allow others to identify you or your school.
    The Sage