1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing PGCE just as I am reaching the end...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mickymilan, May 12, 2011.

1. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

so what are you failing in?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

what kind of grades have you been getting on your observations? if the school is expressing concern, this should be backed up by the evidence from the lesson observations. usually what happens is that the school will contact the uni and arrange for them to come in and observe, from this obs and discussion after, it would then be mutually decided between the school and the uni to set targets, the uni person will then come back again after, say , a week or two and then observe again to see what progress has been made

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It's not just down to the school,, it's the university's decision as well. This C4C should not come out of the blue for you or your mentor; the school needs to show that they have put support in place that has not worked.
    As Langteacher says, your uni mentor should have been to observe you and discussed your progress with your school mentor/class teacher.
    Just as a word of solidarity, I really, really struggled through my final placement. I, too, had just two or three weeks to go and was struggling so hard. I just concentrated on showing everyone that I was taking on their advice and improving, even if I wasn't "perfect".
    Please speak to your uni mentor about this. They need to discuss it with your school and come to observe you again, to form their own opinion. Just try to get some sleep and drink lots of fresh orange juice. I really hope it all works out for you. Do let us know.

4. Talk to your tutor - if there is a CfC in place then there will be procedures to follow and the school and uni should be supporting you and setting targets for you to work towards. Any decisions would have to be joint ones between the school and university. A CfC is not a fail it is also about trying to ensure that you have the evidence to show that you are meeting the standards, so you must talk to the mentor about what exactly the problems are and advice on what you need to do to meet the rerequired standards.
    James