1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

failing NQT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by riakirby, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I have been unable to reach the satisfactory level, and it is now the 2nd half of the 2nd term. The council came in and said I am receiving support, and even though I do not feel that - it is documented with files and meeting times etc. I struggled to find out, and still do how they want me to teach. At this point I have called the union who told me to take the councils advice; the council told me I would be best to leave before the end of this term and try and do induction elsewhere

I found it hard to get a job last summer in London (primary) and am worried with a record of not attaining satisfactory so far, it will be impossible to get a place to finish my induction. I want to teach, I think I'll be a great teacher. Please advise....

thanks

2. I have been unable to reach the satisfactory level, and it is now the 2nd half of the 2nd term. The council came in and said I am receiving support, and even though I do not feel that - it is documented with files and meeting times etc. I struggled to find out, and still do how they want me to teach. At this point I have called the union who told me to take the councils advice; the council told me I would be best to leave before the end of this term and try and do induction elsewhere

I found it hard to get a job last summer in London (primary) and am worried with a record of not attaining satisfactory so far, it will be impossible to get a place to finish my induction. I want to teach, I think I'll be a great teacher. Please advise....

thanks

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Try reposting this on the NQT forum. You'll find lots of people who have had similar experiences and they may not see this to help you out.
    I think you're only choice is to leave, if they fail you you won't be able to teach again anyway. (Please don't let this panic you but you do need to think about it) Supply may get you into another post as they will get to know you prior to you needing to disclose your gradings. Or upload some resources etc on here and if they get good reviews you can use this in you application letter to strengthen it. Don't take it to heart some schools just aren't suited, with the right support i'm sure you'll be a great teacher x

4. Meetings aren't everything, are they? I've fallen into a similar situation in the last few weeks (no warning before that). Meetings are recorded, but all the meetings say is "here's the problem. go fix it."

You can't leave before the end of this term now. You can't leave before the end of the year as far as I'm aware? Or are you allowed to quit now and leave in May half term?

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The Union can always organise early release if needed xx

6. I'm glad you have the union involved, but do insist that they look carefully at your situation to provide the proper advice. Yes, sometimes a negotiated early release can be the best action.
    What should happen with repect to support is that any issues should be identified and relkated to the standards. Then there should be a plan of action and support put in place with agreed targets and success criteria. The targets should be SMART targets that is they should be meaningful and allow you to correct what is going wrong. Added to this targets should have attached to them success criteria so that you know and the school know when you have met any targets. Support may also be needed in the form of extra training - e.g. attending courses or visiting other schools to observe other teachers/work witrh them or working with teachers in your own school.
    Any support must be effective support which increases your chances of meeting the standards.
    It may well be that this school is not right for you. Before you go down the path of negotiating an early release do remember that completed time on induction is completed time - there is no pass of fail of each term. So you could complete two terms leaving just one to do. Alternatively, if you feel that more time would be beneficial - that is two more terms to allow you to settle into a new school and not be pressurised by the fact that you just have one term left and it is all concentrated into the pass or fail final term then do try for a negotiated early release. You would need to leave before the end of the term to prevent the paperwork being done and submitted for term 2.
    If you do decide (wiuth union advice) to leave then ensure that you have an agreed reference that will be provided that does not scupper your chances of any other post.
    James