1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Tinabean, May 15, 2011.

1. I have been advised that I may fail my NQT and have decided to leave the school prior to the final NQT assessment. Will the 2 (long) full terms I have taught count towards my NQT year if I continue it in another school?

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Yes, you should be able to keep your two terms, as they have counted towards induction, and will need to serve just one more term in a new school to complete induction. As you can only fail your NQT in your final term, the two terms you have are "banked".

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Are they giving you the standards you are 'failing'? Do you agree? Have the union been involved?
    Yes your two terms will count. I don't want to panic you but get job hunting ASAP. I left in July last year and still don't have a post...
    Good Luck, its hard to believe ATM I'm sure but things will work out for the best x

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes often the best course is to leave and not risk a final assessment. This way you can still complete the induction by doing a term somewhere else.Do ensure you have copies of your previous 2 assessments and ask the union to negotiate a reference for you.

5. The school haven't processed my second lot of paperwork, they said I didn't want to risk failing at Easter and therefore it was in my best interest that they didn't submit the paperwork. Since reading your replies I have contacted my Union again (I had told them the situation briefly) and I am awaiting a reply. The school offered me an early release and are writing me a reference (they say they are very pleased with me????). I have an interview this week so fingers crossed.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This way you will still have 2 terms of an NQT induction to complete. In addition you can do non induction supply for a maximum period of 16 months then seek an extension from an LA for a further 12 months.

7. You do need to get union advice here the school is not following procedures. I'm glad that they are providing a positive reference, but they need to get the paperwork in for the second term. The LA should require this it is not up to the school to extend defer or not follow the NQT induction procedure. If you completed a term then it should have the paperwork done as completed, otherwise a new LA could reject the second term and require you to complete two terms. Terms one and two are neither passed nor failed merely completed. The assessment periods indicate whether or not you are making satisfactory progress. There is a legal requirement on the LA and school that the records are mainatined and passed to a new LA/school should you move during the NQT year.
    Please seek expert advise from your union.
    James

8. yes they will - i too have also been told that -today as a matter of fact
    i would not leave...i have been in touch with my union and the LEA and they have said the school have told u b4 hand not in ure last term

i too feel i sould leave and get out whilst i can but have been advised not too
    as it is the schools role to provide u with suppport and explain y u r failing when u haved passed 2 terms...it make me so angry and doesnt make sense

9. i dont udnerstand why they are pleased with u if they are failing u?
    how did u get an eraky release.maybe i should ask for that and how do u get ure union to gv u a refernce that sounds diffrent

ive been to so many intervws n no job

10. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Not too late, Schools still recruting, you will only be competing with PGCE graduates and although your bad experience of your NQT year is likely to have shattered your self confidence, in actual fact you will have learnt a lot and consequently you will be way ahead of the other candidates.
    Negotiate your exit, get to the agencies and work in a professional manor, Be positive, cheerful and use what you learnt from your previous experience. You will be ok
    I negotiated my exit from my school at easter after being told I will fail my NQT year. I got a long term post from an agency and new position for next year. It is always better to jump than be pushed

11. Good to know talc1234 I'm in the same boat. Counting down to the end of a horrible 2nd term. Confidence definitely shattered. Hoping for a smooth ish exit.

12. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

You might be weak in one two areas and outstanding in other parts. When I left I received a thank you card from my form and a thank you note from one of the parents.
    Also as soon as I resigned there was a change in attitude of the school with the NQT coordinator telling me that it was now time for me to look at my positives.
    Agencies get failing NQTs all the time and they will be happy to take you on. Join several as some will be better for you than others. Do the work with a positive attitude, be cheerful, your new schools will like you and you will get repeat work. Use your supply experience to work on your weaknesses. I had problems with class control in my NQT post, Going to a school with challenging pupils was a major help
    You basically have 1 term to finsih and 15 months of supply to improve your teaching and self confidence. Work in the private sector or in schools for special educational needs. Work for a British school abroad or a FE college. All these options will get you experience and let you finish your NQT induction when you are ready.

13. Talc_1234
    I'm in a really odd position. I did one term of induction and two terms of supply before teaching abroad for two years. I then came back, did a bit more supply which went well and then got another contract to do my second and third terms. There's been a lot of problems, partly down to me being out of the loop (although I have tried really hard to catch up) but also I'm a sensitive person working for a headteacher that I find incredibly intimidating and this has made me too scared to ask questions. Some of the people in the school are very kind but others really aren't and I know that's made me keep my head down. Not the best strategy in a school that likes to dictate every pen stroke. (Literally, I do my 'f's wrong apparently!)
    Anyway back to the point, I applied for a supply extension back in January which was granted so I've got a bit longer to go on that. Don't know if they'd be willing to extend again though! I know I've had a fairly happy and successful time of it up until now so I just hope I can find the right school this time around.
    I've often wondered who the NQT year really helps. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency between what schools expect of NQTs and sometimes I think it would be better if initial teacher training were longer and included more time on placement then we could do away with the whole thing. It just seems like you're at the mercy of a school's (probably unrealistic) 'expectations' until you can get passed the end of your 3rd term.
    Sorry for the rant! :)

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency between what schools expect of NQTs

I agree with this, and it is all so subjective - the stories on here and from NQT friends vary so much and quite frankly, despite being in my final half term with a series of 'good' observations behind me and no issues having been flagged up to date I am still terrified of being failed.

15. new strings i cant afford it but i do have some savings and i live iwth my parents that costs so much less
    and also it is my carrer down the path - ryt guys i hve involved my union
    he is good- the school is a hell hole and dont get me started on other stuff
    my advice to evy1 is get in touch with ure union and local authority
    i find out on next week if iv failed or not
    another thing is - get a standas file sorted out -wid 3 peices of evidence for each standard
    gd luk folks