1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing NQT induction

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by rebeccawoodhead1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. rebeccawoodhead1

rebeccawoodhead1 New commenter

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice, I am currently in the 3rd Term of my induction, I have made good progress and met the standards for the first 2 terms. My head teacher was my mentor, however she left at the end of last term and I now have a new mentor. The behaviour within the school is challenging and I haven't received much support on how to address this with 2 children in my class, other than follow the schools behaviour policy, which I have and doesn't seem to work with these particular children. As a result the new head teacher has implied that I may not pass my final term.
    It is really stressing me out and am so worried. I'm now wondering if I should leave part way through the term and do one term of induction at another school. I can't afford to fail the induction and based on the feelings I am getting from the new head I am worried this could happen.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You must contact your union and let them know what's going on, first and foremost. They will advise you to keep a record of everything that happens.

You must also contact the NQT named person at the local authority.

There are statutory requirements that schools are meant to follow in relation to NQT induction. I take it your school is a very small one? It is not recommended that the head is also your mentor, if at all possible, so that's an immediate issue right there. A school cannot simply decide to fail you - there are procedures that they must follow in order to do that. Issues should not suddenly appear in the final term, as they have in your situation. If there are issues, then a clear support plan, with targets, should be put in place to help you succeed. This is why you must contact the named person at the LA - it is them who oversees the inductions in your area. Google them, and phone them first thing on Tuesday.

I had issues during my NQT year. The named person was fantastic - very helpful and supportive. They have the power to extend your induction if necessary. They will come in to school and speak to you and the head privately. They will help the head to formulate a support plan.

In my case, the NQT Coordinator at my school wanted rid of me, and was determined not to allow me to pass. It took them 6 weeks to devise a support plan, then I was only on it for a couple of weeks before I was pushed to resign. As I resigned during term 2 the induction was suspended. I was able to find a new job, and complete induction at a lovely, supportive school.

Good luck!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Sorry no advice as inexperienced myself but the above advice sounds good. Just wanted to say I hope you get things sorted, it is unfair for you to be put in this position.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. rebeccawoodhead1

rebeccawoodhead1 New commenter

Thank you for your advice, I will call them and see what they say. I am just worried that they may use the poor behaviour of 2 children as a reason to fail me. But I will speak to the union and the LA on Tuesday.

Thanks!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I know you're worried, and they may try to do that, but they won't be allowed by the LA to suddenly fail you in term 3 when nothing was mentioned in terms 1 and 2, and when they haven't put any support in place as soon as an issue was identified.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is based on the whole three terms and there is a clear process needed before an NQT can be failed. There has to be a clear identification of the issues, support and a plan to help NQT meet standards. If your previous 2 assessments have shown you are meeting standards then it is not reasonable that an assessment a few weeks later would be contrary. Make sure you have lesson observations and a record of the induction in case you need to dispute this.
    Check out the statutory guidance on
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts

wanet likes this.