1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing NQT and have to resign - should I do SUPPLY or VOLUNTEERING or TA WORK?!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jentershikari9, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jentershikari9

jentershikari9 New commenter

Hi there,

I am reaching the end of my NQT year and there are a few targets that I am still struggling with, so my mentor and headteacher have advised that I resign, as they feel like I am not quite ready for the big bad world of teaching!

But this means that I will instead be heading into the big bad world of unemployment and I really do not know what to do! There are TA positions available at my current school (and I have loved it there!) but not sure whether supply teaching would give me better experience and a chance to explore different schools or whether I should take a TA position elsewhere? I want to get a bit more experience and get my confidence back before I complete my NQT year and do the final term.

Any advice about what supply teaching is REALLY LIKE or whether I would be safer to stay at the school as a TA for now, would be much appreciated! My main concern about working as a TA at the school is a) the reduction in pay and b) colleagues and parents wondering why I am now a teaching assistant!

Thank you.

2. loveparis77

loveparis77 New commenter

Supply teaching is very hard in many ways. Depending on the school, whether you do long-term or day to day, it will be almost guaranteed that you wouldn't get any kind of consideration or reduction in timetable for the fact that you are an NQT, so you are very much left to your own devices and assumed to know what you are doing! I did some supply between the first 2 and the last term of my NQT to gain more experience, and I think it did help in many ways. It allowed me to improve my teaching skills - in often some very difficult and stressful situations! - without the pressure of meeting NQT standards within a fixed time period, and also enabled me to experience a number of varied and different school settings, behavioural situations, etc. It definitely helped me to be adaptable and able to teach a lesson with very few resources, very little planning and very little notice a lot of the time! If you feel you can cope with being called in to teach a lesson on any subject with all of the above constraints, then it can be a learning experience. Bear in mind that often some of the behaviour/motivation/effort of the students when you're a supply teacher, in comparison to being their regular class teacher, can be a very different matter. The supply teaching forum on here is excellent for giving a real, honest picture of what the life of a supply teacher can be like. I'm a recent post-NQT (NQT+1) but I had a bit of experience on supply between the terms of my NQT as I said so I'm not fair off being in your position. I would say it was the making of me, but I'm not sure about that - I survived anyway!

My only concern - and I know that I don't know you at all! but knowing what my instincts would be in your situation - is that if you go down the TA route, you might find that you find it increasingly difficult to step back up to all the responsibilities of a teaching role as you have changed into a more supportive role and you may risk becoming disconnected from all of the demands of planning/assessing/managing a class independently. I think supply would push you more, to be honest, but go into it only knowing how demanding and stressful it can be at times.

Good luck!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The judgement for completion of induction is about whether you have made satisfactory progress so it depends upon what targets are seen as not met? There should be an action plan in place to help you address any weaknesses. Are you sure the induction has been everything it should be? If not do discuss with the LA Induction Coordinator and with your Union before making a decision.

TA roles will give you classroom experience ( but in the same school!) but not teaching experience and the danger would be that it could be interpreted that you were not up to teaching so this could make it difficult in future for you.

Supply work is difficult but can at least give you a wider experience of different schools and leave the door open to working as a teacher.

4. e_rift

e_rift New commenter

How many standards do they claim you haven't met? I would start collecting evidence immediately as you can appeal against the decision to not pass you but it is a risk.

5. I'm concerned that the school has not had proper support in place, a plan to try and get you through and the backing of the LA. You really must talk to your union about this and ensure that the school is doing things correctly. Is this the first you heard about issues and problems? If so it is very very late and the school is supposed to let you and the LA know as soon as a problem is evident.

What are the 'targets' and when were they set? What support have you had to meet them? What help or extra training? Contact your union now for advice!

James