1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing a term

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by rbee1, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rbee1

rbee1 New commenter

I had the LA NQT lead come in to see me at the beginning of March and she said there was cause for concern. Since she came in, nothing has changed, in that I have not had anything in writing to say where I was falling down nor has there been any additional support or monitoring.

My termly assessment was going to be later today and my mentor said I might like to bring someone in with me. I thought this strange so I asked her why and she asked me if the HT had spoken to me yesterday to which she hadn't. She went to see the HT who came to find me and told me I would fail and that Term 3 would also be extended. Bit of a blow particularly as I've had no additional help or support or even a reason as to why I've failed.

I've postponed my assessment. Spoken to the union who were less than helpful because I had been told there was a cause for concern. The thing is the HT doesn't appear to have followed Statutory guidance or the LA School Staff Induction policy. I have come home sick and don't intend going back for the last two days of term either. I've emailed the LA NQT lead as the HT has told me the school has her support in doing what they're doing. I had to have a change of mentor at the end of the autumn term and my new mentor is really supportive and has not indicated since the last monitoring that I would fail. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Really sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience last year (although I found the named person from the LA was really supportive, despite the fact he couldn't force the school to do things properly).

Reading between the lines, the school want you gone. Phone your union at a higher level tomorrow to get advice on the correct procedures, but if I were you I'd resign. Since your term 2 assessment has been postponed, I believe that resigning would stop term 2 from finishing, which would mean you still have 2 terms remaining on your induction - this is good, because when you get a new job you'll have one term to settle in, before the final term of the induction.

You cannot trust your school, since they have not given you support, and are just making things up (they can't decide to extend your induction, and they can't do it in term 2) - they should have given you an action plan to help resolve your issues, with targets to work towards; you should have had regular mentor meetings to focus on your targets, etc.

gwest91 and peter12171 like this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I'm not sure how any NQTs pass in some schools. Asking the impossible for wages below that for most graduates is ridiculous. Far far too big a step up from being a student. Combined with pointless piles of admin, folders and report writing on top of what is a very hard job right now anyhow.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

I know how you feel. I had a surprise observation from the LA NQT lead and it went very badly. I was told there was cause of concern as well. Then same thing happened. Everything was going fine, there were no problems in my lessons observations, never an issue was raised, but after that person came and said there was cause of concern, I was told I was failing the term and that the last observations didn't really count. I didn't even know there was a formal assessment due later that month. Long story short, after the LA NQT lead came, a formal assessment was made and I was suddenly not on track of meeting the standards. You're not alone.

5. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

How did you move forward grantgust?

6. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

I had it written on paper that I didn't know anything about it and that from what I knew I was on track and then I resigned. So now I m just counting the days.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are a "cause for concern" then there needs to be a clear plan of support to help you improve. There should be agreed targets and a review date. If the school is not meeting statutory requirements then complain to the appropriate body but if the school are that poor at providing a basic induction then you need to consider the option of leaving and getting into a better situation.
    Leaving with 2 terms "banked" at least means that you have one term left to complete elsewhere.

grantgust likes this.