1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing 3rd term of NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by REM19, Nov 5, 2017.

1. REM19

REM19 New commenter

I really don't know what to do..

Long story short, I started my NQT year Sept 2016. First two terms went really well and I passed with flying colours. I then had to take some time off in my third term for an operation. I was told my NQT year would be extended by a FULL term (Sept - December) ... I agreed but on later researching this, I realised I would only have to re-do the days I missed. I queried this, My school told me they paused the year for me when I had my op... rang union who said that isn't possible and they shouldn't extend it. Rang appropriate body and they agreed that it shouldn't be extended. Had meeting with HT and Assistant Head. They told me they'd write my report to finish when I was SUPPOSED to but they'd write it unfavourably and I'd fail. Or, I could wait until Christmas (when they wanted me to do until) and they'd 're-assess' then.

Stressed to death, done nothing but cry and I can barely sleep. I've been unable to go into school the last few days as I can barely function. The AH smirked when she told me that Id never teach again it they failed me.

I'd already handed in my resignation to leave at Christmas, but with how I feel I don't know how I can ever return there. I have a panic attack when I consider going back and I begin physically shaking. What do I do? I need to pass - I've never been told I was a cause for concern!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure what happens now, but it used to be the case that unless issues were raised early in the year, and support putin place, that you couldn't suddenly be failed at the end.

blueskydreaming and pepper5 like this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The statutory procedure is clear- if you are absent for 30 days or more an induction has to be extended to account for the missing days. Any days less than this 30 days should not affect the duration of an induction period.
    You really needed to directly involve the union and named person from the AB in your discussions with the school as soon as the issue of failing induction came up. Again there is a clear process of support and an action plan to help improve any areas of weakness which should be in place.
    If you feel you are being pressured then use the school's harassment complaints procedure.
    You now need to be clear about exactly what assessments are going to be made. If you stay until Christmas then any third assessment not meeting standards means a failure. However there are grounds for querying the induction procedure with the DfE should they decide to fail as you have not received sufficient support or advice. Get your union to support you as well -and if they won't, or a re useless, stop paying fees and hire a "no win no fee" law firm to claim constructive dismissal.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

As Welshwizard says ^^

Sorry to hear that a school would believe that blackmailing a member of staff as appropriate.

Also I can't see how they thought it through. If they wrote a report dated end of July saying you failed your NQT how would that relate to them continuing to employ you without it showing that they completed the information falsely.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Exactly. You have to leave their employment within about 7 days if you 'fail', so how would they explain your continued employment, which would be in breach of both DfE statutory guidelines and your contract of employment?

Also, they LA would not action the report if it was backdated.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Sounds like they were unhappy that you dared to question their judgment here.Typical controlling bullying tactics.So sickened that people like that get senior positions in our schools and often do resort to blackmail,it happened to me.How long were you off sick?Follow Welshwizard's advice especially about consulting a law firm.I wish I had as I received bad advice and little support from both the LA and Union when in a similar situation.Don't leave that too late.It might be worth putting pressure on your LA to find you another school to finish induction.You cannot possibly do it there as they'll be out to get you.

7. tomfikky

tomfikky New commenter

This is still the case, I believe.