1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

failed to get on a pgce course...

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by livvie89, May 6, 2012.

1. I failed to get on a primary pgce course for 2011-12 and reapplied for 2012-13 and have now failed a second time. I am at a loss to know what to do. I have done work experience at various primary schools including 3 weeks last sept (2011), 2 weeks in sept 2010, and a 2hr weekly volunteering session during spring term 2011. I have recently spent time abroad, including a month spent volunteering with deprived children in peru, organising games and activities during their summer holidays. Despite all this experience I have not got onto a course this year. I am beginning to wonder whether I should consider a different career (although I wouldnt have a clue what) as it seems like applying a third time would be a waste of time, after all I cant just keep applying year after year forever. I was wondering whether anyone else has been through similar issues trying to get on a pgce course and what people think I should do?

2. I failed to get on a primary pgce course for 2011-12 and reapplied for 2012-13 and have now failed a second time. I am at a loss to know what to do. I have done work experience at various primary schools including 3 weeks last sept (2011), 2 weeks in sept 2010, and a 2hr weekly volunteering session during spring term 2011. I have recently spent time abroad, including a month spent volunteering with deprived children in peru, organising games and activities during their summer holidays. Despite all this experience I have not got onto a course this year. I am beginning to wonder whether I should consider a different career (although I wouldnt have a clue what) as it seems like applying a third time would be a waste of time, after all I cant just keep applying year after year forever. I was wondering whether anyone else has been through similar issues trying to get on a pgce course and what people think I should do?

3. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

Im sorry you haven't been successful. When you have your heart set on doing something then it doesnt pan out it can be really demoralising, I know - I have been there myself.

From your experience, it seems it wouldn't be that that is stopping you from getting a place - have you had interviews both these years or been declined before then. If you haven't got to interview stage, it may be your personal statement - it has to be snappy, to the point and relevant. Admissions tutors see waaaaay more applications than they have even interview places especially for Primary so you have to make yours the best!

If you got an interview - it could well be that you aren't relating your answers to your experiences appropriately...it is usually helpful if you can back up your answers with something you have seen for real in school, or have done with children yourself in your volunteering. They want to see that you have been analysing the WHY a teacher in the class has done (or sometimes NOT) done something rather than what they did.

Ask for feedback from the university as to why you were unsuccessful too. Many will happily do so.

I hope this makes you feel a bit better anyway, good luck and why not give it another go for 2013? Many people on here got in on their 2nd or 3rd attempt!

4. Did you get feedback? It is important to try and work out where you have went wrong. Do you think you were confident at your interview? As the poster above me said, what is your personal statement like? If you don't know where you have went wrong, then you won't know how to fix it. Don't give up, you clearly are set on becoming a teacher.

5. hey! I know exactly how you feel! I applied for pgde 2012-2013, this was my third year in applying and i was successful this time round. The advice I would give you is that if it really is your dream dont give up on it, i think its just unfortunate that there are very few places now. I tried to think of it as each year that i didnt get in was the opportunity to make myself become a better teacher by gaining more experience etc. From what you have said sounds like you have loads experience so I dont think thats anything to worry about. As others have said, did you get any feedback?
    Dont give up if its really what you want to do. Someone on my degree got in third time round aswell so maybe its may be third time lucky for you aswell.

6. Agree with fairy_88 this year was my third time applying and i was successful and i hadn't even got to the interview stages the past two years. you just need to keep doing what you are doing and make sure your personal statement is flawless. Whatever you do dont give up! I said to myself 'if i dont's get in this time i don't know what i'll do' thankfully it was third time luck, but looking back i know exactly what i'd do. Get back to working on next years application. Dont lose heart, whats for you wont go by you.

7. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

rross is tright - did you get feedback? Looking at what you've set out above it seems to me like the problem for primary might be in-school experience. I'd be looking to increase this if possible just now, or try to find a job which exposes you to similar experiences - play leaders, or working in out-of-school clubs (Fife are recruiting for these just now) to help.
    It never hurts though to reevaluate what you want to do. Only you can say if it's the right thing for you and if you want to pursue it for as long as it takes.

8. I was third time lucky too- definitely don't give up.
    Advice above is all good, get someone to read over your statement and try get some interview help, I feel that's what let me down, you've got the experience x