1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failed the first term

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jd01, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Dear James,

I have been told by my senior mentor that I have failed the first term as an NQT in a temporary post. I have had 4 formal observations (all unsatisfactory) and 4 informal observations. One of the main reasons is lack of control of students and lack of presence in the classroom (I have had students throwing rubbers and paper at me). I have made some progress in using the school's behaviour for learning policy but have not met other targets. We have been through the options and I am thinking of resigning before the end of term as I don't want to risk failing a second term and also it will be v stressful to continue so doesn't seem worth it. I would like to start again in another school however I am concerned about finding another job, the reference, the reason I would give for resigning etc. The school has supported me and I have been meeting weekly with my mentor but I've been finding it difficult to put all the advice given into practice. It may also be that I am not suited to the school (it's a Catholic school in outer London).

Should I stay or should I go?

2. Hi
    Technically there is no fail or pass of any term during induction except your last term. What the school is saying is that you are in danger of not meeting the induction standards.
    Before you resign take advice from your union about the best way forward. You schools should have informed you as soon as possible that ypou are not making sufficient progress and as well as extra observations and targets they shgould also have put in place extra help and support and, if necessary, training as well as bringing in the local authority NQT adviser to help review your progress and targets.
    If the targets have been set, there should also be success criterai for the targets so that you and the school know if you have or have not met them.
    If you complete the full term then that is one term of induction completed, if you resign and leave before the end of the term that term is effectively lost and ypou will still need to complete 3 full terms.
    You should get union help to negotiate an exit from the school if that is seen as the best option all round. Not all schools suit all teachers and getting the right school for you is important.
    It is not possible for me to say if you should stay or go - that's why I advise you get independent advice from your union rep. They can look at the whole picture and provide the best advice for you, they can also negotiate with the school a leaving reference that does not scupper your chances of another post.
    James

3. Thanks for your advice!

4. Don't give up yet! Sounds to me like the classic Bad Experience. Maybe try doing some supply for a bit to restore your confidence and build up your skills and CV. It will also give you a feel for the kind of environment you'd be happy working in. Very best of luck.