1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failed second placement-please help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Evangeline111, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Evangeline111

Evangeline111 New commenter

Hi everyone, I hope someone can give me some advice, I just found out that I've failed my second placement and haven't really been told why yet.
    My school cancelled my placement after a couple of weeks of being there whilst I was off due to some bad news in my family.

I told the school but felt like I wasn't welcome from day one. Having said that the school didn't say there was anything wrong with my lessons, it just seemed like they did not want a trainee.

Now my university have asked me to go for a meeting but haven't told me what will happen in the meeting or anything. I feel completely in the dark. Time is going on and I'm worried about now getting on another placement or what will happen with my PGCE, has anyone been in a similar situation? What happened? What should I do?

It's so much money to lose. I'm so stressed.

I'm a music PGCE student

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You need to go along with all of your paperwork about how well you did on the first placement, and listen to what they have to say.
    It's only March, so unless you're on an ABA system, I'm surprised that you can have failed now. You should be able to repeat the placement, or have an extended placement to make up the time. And you should ask for additional support to address the areas in which you are failing.

3. Evangeline111

Thank you.

The school terminated my placement which apparently is an automatic fail.
    I've read many posts that they can kick you off the PGCE for that?

4. Sportycb

Sportycb New commenter

I think you need to ask more queations regarding why your placement was terminated. Have you had that meaning with your Uni yet you were talking about?

To my knowledge the only fail you can fail is by going through Cause For Concern and then not make any progress or for serious misconduct, etc. I feel there is part of this story that you are missing.
    I am not too suprised though as I had issues on one of my placements and wasn't told about until I was on 'Cause For Concern'. Of course that was not for very long and if I had known about it before that point I would have dealt with if before then.

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

This has not happened for no reason - schools rarely terminate placements and if they do, then it is for reasons that have little to do with the trainee. You need to find out why the placement has been terminated and respond, depending on the reason. I would strongly advise that you contact student services and your union for support, but I would also strongly advise that you are honest with yourself about why this has happened.

wanet likes this.
  6. Evangeline111

Thank you for your replies and advice

I was only there a couple of weeks and there was an atmosphere like they didn't want a trainee. I had a bereavement and had a few days off then was told it had been cancelled. I'm in the dark, I don't know what happened. I've tried to think about what it could be.
    I'm sure the school will make something up.

I still haven't had the meeting. Getting really fed up.

7. mandala1

Schools don't just cancel placements, they just don't. You need to be proactive, find out what is happening and what is going to happen. Call student services and your union for support.

8. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

It's very rare for schools to cancel placements - and rare that cancelation is automatically a fail.
    There could be many reasons for it eg school structure or issues with progress wtc. I wouldn't want to speculate but you need reasons so you can go into the meeting with information. I can't help but wonder if there's more to this.

9. mandala1

Stuff does happen in schools that means that the placement cannot continue and to fail the trainee because of 'stuff' would be absurd.