1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failed final PGCE assignment no QTS - please help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TheOneTonBun, May 22, 2019.

1. TheOneTonBun

TheOneTonBun New commenter

I have failed my final assignment of my university Primary PGCE and will now have to resubmit it in August. Assuming I pass it the next time I get QTS when the exam board meets in September.

The University have said this isn't "prohibitive" to securing a job over the summer and starting teaching in September.

Is this the case? What do I tell employers? I have an interview after half term.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

How did you fail it?

Schools ask for QTS. You will need to be honest with them.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'm presuming you haven't failed any of the teaching elements? In which case are they recommending you for QTS anyway? Remember QTS is separate from the PGCE.

4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Tell any prospective employer that you are waiting for a final mark to be confirmed. I know several who have been in your position. Sometimes the school has appointed on an unqualified grade, with the understanding that as soon as the mark comes through, qualified teacher pay will be back-dated to September 1st.
    Offer this as an option if you like.

If they think you are worth having in their school, they won’t let a late mark deter them. I know this from several years helping people in your position.

Good luck with the interview!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Your QTS certificate is made available by the TRA usually around the end of August. The university recommends you for QTS to the TRA. This can only happen once you have gone through the exam board. Some courses have written it that you can only be recommended upon completion of all the academic units and some parcel it out so that you can still get QTS and not the PGCE.
    Not passing an assessment means you have to go to the referral board. This is quite common. We hold referral boards in August deliberately so that you can go through, be awarded and recommended for QTS and still pick up your QTS certificate from the TRA in time for the September start.
    No one has their QTS certificate yet. The HR departments are quite used to having to wait for this event.
    It’s unpleasant not going through the main exam board, but it is not career defining.

pepper5 likes this.