1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Fail on teaching component of PGCE - Need advice.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by loveloveteaching, May 11, 2016.

  1. loveloveteaching

    loveloveteaching New commenter

    I received a fail after a panel meeting at my university for termination of my teacher training placement.
    I have been advised to make an appeal, i will do my best. But i will like advice about this situation. I really do not want to fail this component of the PGCE. If i fail this component, can i still gain the PGCE with my university and how? What is the best advice you can give me that is helpful. What happens next in the process and what are my best options. Thank you.
  2. drek

    drek Star commenter

    I would advise changing your user name if that is your real name. They must have given you a written procedure of how this works. If they have not write to the course administrators asking for a copy. I think it should include information about the appeal procedure.
    I would contact the citizen's bureau to see if you can talk about what happened and get advice.
    Sorry I'm not much help. Other than to say please don't post any further details under your real name. It could come back to bite you.
  3. purplecarrot

    purplecarrot Senior commenter

    Same advice on changing your user name.

    Practical advice. Check your course handbook as most have a concern policy for tutors or mentors to use if a trainee isn't doing so well and it has steps that must be put in place to give the trainee a chance at improving. If they've gone through that and it's still a fail then ask for the appeals process document. If they've not gone through the convern route and this is out of nowhere then your appeal should be straightforward as you can't inprove unless you're given training to improve.
    loveloveteaching likes this.
  4. Tigger1962

    Tigger1962 New commenter

    Are you a member of a Union? They may be able to advise during the appeal process. Is there an active student union or association at your university that can advise on how to appeal course failures.

    If you have been advised to appeal then this should be your first step - but check what the regulations are and whether there are time limits etc that apply. Read your handbook or ask for copies of appeals procedures.

    Also if this is your real name e-mail TES to change it to something more anonymous - I don't know if @TheoGriff can help with this?
    sabahchaudry likes this.
  5. loveloveteaching

    loveloveteaching New commenter

    It was out of the blue and was not given any chances to improve.
  6. marlin

    marlin Star commenter

  7. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Did you really receive no critical feedback of any of your lessons, with advice on how to deal with the issues raised? If so, that is appalling, and you have grounds for appealing. Advice for other posters here looks good to me, especially on user name, if that is really your name. It is very likely that others involved with you are at least occasional visitors to this forum.
    loveloveteaching likes this.
  8. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Same advice as everyone else really.

    1. Change your name - thanks to @marlin for the link

    2. Check your course handbook for details of the appeal process

    3. Discuss with your tutor what grounds there could be for appeal, and also what alternative ways there could be to gain your QTS

    Best wishes

    loveloveteaching likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Who has advised you to appeal?
    If it is your university tutor/union/mentor then take note, follow their advice and appeal.
    If it is your best friend after a few drinks to drown your sorrows, then may be not.

    If your school placement is terminated, there must be a significant reason why. I'm not suggesting for a moment you post it here, but is it something you could rectify at a different school? Can you repeat the placement elsewhere and just graduate late? Or have the university failed you completely and asked you to leave the course?

    You, for obvious reasons, can't practice as a teacher if you fail the teaching part of the course. So if you aren't going to be able to repeat the placement, there is little point continuing.
  10. Godmeister

    Godmeister Occasional commenter

    Obviously the OP cannot give many details without potentially revealing their identity, but unless there have been failings on a massive scale between Uni/tutor/mentor I can't understand how you cannot have had any idea throughout the whole teaching placement that you weren't doing well enough to pass?

    Have you never had any feedback and targets throughout the whole time from either the uni tutor or your school mentor?
    loveloveteaching likes this.
  11. Luvsskiing

    Luvsskiing Established commenter

    "Have you never had any feedback and targets throughout the whole time from either the uni tutor or your school mentor?"

    This was my first thought.

Share This Page