1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Faculty systems ,do they work?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by GuessWho, May 28, 2011.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

It was the introduction of faculties that led to many ex-PTs being promised lifetime conservation (remember that) if they stepped aside.
    I am surprised that faculties continue to be foisted on us.....it's just a money saving process

2. It saves money, especially now that we seem to have voted to fling conservation of salary out of the window. In terms of service provided, it depends on the faculty. I've seen some really weird combinations of subjects into a mismatched faculty.

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

here, here, here, here!!!!!!!! Those who do it for the money make a mess of it and many enemies along the way, and those who do it in order to save their brilliant departments, end up burnt out with over work.
    I've answered on this topic on secondary board and mentioned many concerns which have been raised in the last few posts. I'm sorry but our education system is going down the pan quicker than the proverbial p**!
    I am ashamed to say this, but I'm glad my own kids have finished with school and escaped all this nonesense and I'm looking forward to quitting and having private music pupils again (and earn more per hour than I do as a teacher shafted by the fachead system preventing me being a PT).
    I am tired of all the staffroom politics, concerned colleagues fighting for permanent contacts and the frustration with nobody being able to do a damn thing about this mess we call education in 21st century.

4. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

That's if you get a science teacher as faculty head. It is not unusual for the sciences (previously 3 or 4 faculty heads) to be combined with other subjects, with very poor consequences for sciences.