1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faculty job but think i've blown it.

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Englishrose34, May 4, 2012.

1. A job has come up in my school for Faculty head of Science. I teach physics and have done so for 8 years in the same school. I am well known for my excellent attainment records, good discipline and ability to get on very well with staff and pupils. The problem is I have not been on any courses related to leadership and have not really adopted any leadership roles within school. I had been offered many opportunities but due to being the only physics teacher in the department, having a young family, didn't take them. I am now kicking myself, as before now didn't really think promotion was for me. It is tough going being the only teacher and writing new course etc for all the faculty. I do feel i need a new challenge though.

There are 2 other members of staff applying from my school, who have both been on leadership courses and have been leading some after school groups. Their attainment records are nowhere near as good as mine and do not get on well with staff and pupils as well as i do. There will probably be many external applicants too.

My question is - should i even bother putting an application in? How much emphasis will be placed on courses and leadership roles? Looking for any advice.

Thanks

2. A job has come up in my school for Faculty head of Science. I teach physics and have done so for 8 years in the same school. I am well known for my excellent attainment records, good discipline and ability to get on very well with staff and pupils. The problem is I have not been on any courses related to leadership and have not really adopted any leadership roles within school. I had been offered many opportunities but due to being the only physics teacher in the department, having a young family, didn't take them. I am now kicking myself, as before now didn't really think promotion was for me. It is tough going being the only teacher and writing new course etc for all the faculty. I do feel i need a new challenge though.

There are 2 other members of staff applying from my school, who have both been on leadership courses and have been leading some after school groups. Their attainment records are nowhere near as good as mine and do not get on well with staff and pupils as well as i do. There will probably be many external applicants too.

My question is - should i even bother putting an application in? How much emphasis will be placed on courses and leadership roles? Looking for any advice.

Thanks

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Of course you should put in an application. You certainly will not get the job if you don't and at the very least it is a statement of intent.
    However, clearly the lack of any leadership initiative is going to raise eyebrows.

4. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Go for it! Sell the attributes and skills you have. When you write your letter, write it to the spec given but ensure you write about your KS3 and exam results, your observation results etc. On the form, don't forget to write down all the CPD you have done in school... on Training Days and within the Faculty, concentrate on the positive not the negative. Make a resolution to do some Middle Leader CPD. If you get to interview, it will be how you perform on the day not your lack of CPD. Good Luck!

5. I think I have perhaps exaggerated no leadership roles as I have done a fair bit. Just not recognised set courses that the council put on. I am reading the posts in the head of dept section, could be a scary jump. Thanks for your reply.

6. Although there may be others with ore leadership experience, your other attributes may stand you in good stead, and even if you don't get the job there is no harm in applying, also remember the only way to get interview experience is to have interviews, if this is what you are looking for the interview could be good experience even if you don't get the job.

Good luck :)

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

To me, the most important leadership skills are vision, people skills and self-discipline.
    If you have these then you will become a leader sooner or later.

8. Thanks for these replies! I am very much a people person and I feel I could manage this role. I know many who go on the courses but don't have the people skills a faculty remit requires. Just a bit annoyed I hadn't stretched myself before now. I will put the application in and what will be will be.

9. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

www.nationalcollege.org.uk run courses for middle managers and I believe some are online. You could investigate signing up for something and then state that you are already undertaking study towards this role.

10. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Have you done any of these courses? I am a teacher wanting to do some courses on leadership skills as I want to apply of department head jobs and don't feel i have the adequate "leadership" knowledge to give me enough confidence.

11. Good idea. I am based in Scotland though so not sure it will be accepted?