1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faculty Heads

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by therightchoice?, Apr 25, 2016.

1. therightchoice?

therightchoice? New commenter

As if the job of faculty head wasn't impossible enough are there any other authorities who are now appointing faculty heads that don't teach ANY subjects within the faculty???

Latest I've heard(on the grapevine so may have this wrong) is a Modern Languages teacher being appointed faculty head of science! This was despite numerous applicants with vast experience in curriculum head posts applying...

I understand that a faculty head role is developing more into a management role but in a fairly small department how can you support the less experienced teachers within the curriculum?!?!

For those looking for promotion do you now feel you can start applying for any old PT job?

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I'd rather have PTs than FHs, but if you're going to have a FH managing some subjects they don't teach anyway, what difference does it make to staff being managed if they don't teach any of them? It just means one subject's teachers aren't at an advantage.

Eg. in school A, the faculty head of Social Sciences teaches Geography and manages History, Geography, Modern Studies and RME; in school B, the faculty head of social sciences teaches Maths and manages History, Modern Studies and RME. Are the History, Modern Studies and RME teachers better supported in school A or school B? OK, this may be a bad example because of the subject disciplines but you get the idea.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I suppose at least they'd help some of them...

4. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

It's just wrong on all levels. We shouldn't accept FHs at all, whatever shape they come in. I can see absolutely no valid arguments for their existence, apart from the obvious financial one, and their creation has led to all manner of injustices. Rock on, West Dunbartonshire - we should all have been pushing for what you're doing.

socrates82 likes this.
  5. halfajack

A PT job they advertised was withdrawn weeks after the closing date due to 'restructuring.'

6. inthered

I hope they get what they are after, give the shambles the FacHead restructuring system has been throughout the other regions. At least they are trying. It does look like a deal has been struck, though I don't know what shape that deal takes.

7. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

A lot of FHs lead their subject and administer the other subjects in the faculty.

8. inthered

And some FacHeads lead their own subject and administer other subjects for which they have no training. Meaning that unpromoted teachers have to do some of the work of a previous PT, without the extra pay, and without the extra time. And sometimes these other subjects vanish.

socrates82 and cochrane1964 like this.
  9. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

The whole Faculty Head thing is a nonsense. I know of a Computing teacher who is Faculty Head of Maths.

It should at least be set on a tablet of stone that they must teach at least one subject in their own faculty.

I wouldn't appoint if they didn't, whether that's right or wrong I wouldn't worry either. I think it's right.

10. cochrane1964

This was, precisely, my point. Your statement about the other subjects suffering is spot on.

socrates82 likes this.
  11. himoverthere

himoverthere New commenter

If teachers refused to take on any PT or FH remits, then the faculty head role would become untenable. From my experience, if I didn't do stock control, or prepare material orders, the faculty would be dead. Does an art teacher know what to order for music classes ( or really know the courses enough to be part of internal verification? Or a tech teacher with Home economics, or a physics teacher with biology? They do not. The only thing making faculties worj to the limited extent they do is the extra work teachers put in. I? say stop it NOW. Make faculties fail and reverse this trend. Yes, it will hurt some pupils grades, but so many more will benefit in the long run./

Effinbankers likes this.
  12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Oh this old chestnut again. Facheads ruined the career progression of many dedicated, experienced, well-balanced and passionate teachers. Another example of the greed of a few gaining more £s V the aforesaid "older" teachers turning bitter and losing the passion for their subject. More disappointingly, I believed that the Fachead-system would be finished by 2015 - wrong again Joni.
    Yes, greed has a lot to answer for, the younger (usually female) Facheads I know are absent often with stress, illness (mentally and physically) and cannot cope. The only decent Fachead I know is male, middle-aged and admitted to ONLY taking the Fachead's job as he didn't want his successful dept. to be ruined by another subject's ex PT - also admitted he would have an easy ride as the other 2 subjects had superb leadership and dedication - yes, extra money in his pocket for no extra work.

Bitter? Moi? "Oui, Oui" doesn't go anywhere near how I feel.

Still raging after all these years.......................................Joni xx

13. halfajack

Joni, why the emphasis on the age and sex of these colleague? Are you suggesting only middle-aged men should be promoted?

gem_stew likes this.
  14. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

It's garbage get it back to PT Subject.

Of course, that won't happen.

I would have no desire to run a faculty in their current guise.

15. cochrane1964

Our Faculty Head is brilliant and a real authentic leader who thinks about her post and protecting her staff and kids. They are now reverting back to ordinary teacher du to the utter garbage load of paperwork she has to complete that has no impact on learning.

16. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

I think that I like the stuff Fac Heads and senior managers are saying - these theiries and methodologies are excellent. However I can count on one hand - or one finger - managers who can implement what they "cascade" from their EdScot and SQA seminars. There is an utter gulf between what our HTs are telling the world goes on in schools and the actualite. Fac Heads are at the forefront of this. White elephants, most of them, and I would posit that non subject specific fac heads are a particularly indignity visited on staff. And, yes, most I see are young women "managing" older men and women with families and mortgages and, what's that phrase? A reality check? A bright eyed, idealistic, capable sounding S6 girl would be the ideal Faculty Head for a lot of PTs. As ridiculous as putting my middle-aged, paunchy self in charge of a My Little Pony pagaent. I could maybe tell the ponies and owners what to do but I'd not have much experience of the names of the ponies, the dressage steps or what brand sugar cubes to buy. I'd have to - Ahhh! Got it! Delegate!...

17. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Morrissey - please have a big hug and a kiss from me!! Sadly, I am not bright eyed noridealistic or young any more, but I am middle-aged, definitley "paunchy" (ladies have a bit of a muffin top to be PC, I believe!) and have to admit that you know more about My Litle Pony than I do! I knew I was right, halfajack, about these young princesses working their way up the greasy pole, regardless of who they stamp on along the way. Sadly, when unsuccessful, these females ae so out of touch nobody wants to know them any more. Give it another 20 years and we will be back to the teaching styles of the 70s and 80s, with a healthy mix of men and women, with experience, in the top jobs.