1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faculties - inevitable everywhere?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by lescargot, Dec 7, 2015.

1. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

What do you think, is this inevitable?

2. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

How many authorities still have subject PTs - are there any?

3. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Highland? North Lan? Edinburgh in some schools/subjects?

4. TheBigA

TheBigA Occasional commenter

Dundee, Moray, East Dunbartonshire, South Ayrshire still have subject PT's I think. The sooner the faculty system is scrapped the better! And yes, I know that's wishful thinking.

lescargot likes this.
  5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

In Highland PTs still "exist" but their "Boss" is the Fachead. I believe that in 2016 PTs will be no more and their salary will be reduced. I've moaned and groaned about the Fachead system blocking my career prospects, it is an unworkable system to which greedy teachers have undertaken an impossible task. On the other hand, I have Fachead friends who admit to knowing nothing about the other subjects in their Fac. ,so took on the Fachead post as they didn't want their subject being wrecked by another subject FH, who knows nothing about any other subjects (if you can follow that...........!) I don't think this has saved any money - at all. Those of us who had promotion to PT blocked, had the sense to go down the Chartered Teacher route. Ok, it was very hard work, but after a couple of years my salary increase made up for the £s forked out for course and I learnt to become more academic in my teaching methods o_O !!
    Yes, BigA, I totally agree about scrapping it and that maybe sooner than we think.

6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Faculties are here to stay I'm afraid.

7. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

I find the consecutive vowels in the word, "faculty", when switched, engender a clearer idea of what most Faculty heads know about the subjects in their charge and what happens when they're established...

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

"ua"?
    Disnae work for me, morrisey!

9. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hmmm.... I'm with you Jim - no idea what UA could mean......utter a**e*h*o*l*e is the nearest I can get. Jim, I think it depends on what region you are in. Elgin (in Morayshire) are looking for PT Music (£41000+) and I know of other schools where PTs have been kept on as things were 10 years ago. It's all such a shambles. News tonight about CfE, EIS and Govt. reaching decisions ? What the h-e-l-l was that all about?
    A wise old teacher once told me (as a new teacher) that the more confusing "they" can make it, the more confusing it is for us and the easier it is for "them" to get away with whatever they want - they havn't got a clue about what they want, they don't want experienced teachers to feel valued and wanted - just incase we expose them for the plonkers they actually are.

ScotSEN likes this.
  10. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Faculties are being used to 'gut' Scottish Education for the purposes of CfE - where 'subjects' have been downgraded in significance, and therefore can be got rid of under the guise of teacher shortages (say). A prime example is where a Faculty is created from two subjects such as Business Studies and Computing (Science). Under a BS Fac Head CS will disappear from the curriculum in about 2/3 years.

11. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

It should be scrapped, but making three PT's jobs into one, regardless of whether they can do the job or have a clue about the subjects they are leading fundamentally saves money.

Faculties should be scrapped and things should return to subject specific PTs.

It won't.

Also, stand by for the increase of retiring Depute's and their roles being made "surplus" but the role of in situ Depute's getting bigger. With no increase in pay.