1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Factual' references - when did that all start, and why?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Sep 28, 2018.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

OK, so it's been nearly 10 years since I needed references for a job application, so maybe I'm out of date.

I've had a p/t non-teaching job with my local council for the last 6 years, and I now want to apply for a volunteer role with a national organisation who want two referees nominated on the application form. The referees are supposed to comment on my character and my suitability for the new role. I've contacted my line manager at the council and have been told council policy states they can only provide a 'factual' reference, ie when I started and (one assumes) other statistical data if required. I have not been subject to any formal appraisal in this council job, for better or for worse.

So that's it then - a reference that simply states that I started on date x, have turned up for work over the last 6 years when requested, and that's it? Nothing about my work ethic or any stuff I've done in the current workplace to help improve it? That's from a council I've served for 30 years solid in teaching and non-teaching posts.

Makes me wonder why I bothered - my P45 can't come soon enough.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I hope you get it sorted out alright. Myself, I really wouldn't know who to ask to be a referee. I'm trying to think but, I've cut myself off from everyone to the point I really don't know anyone I could approach. I post on here but I can't say I've actually spoken to anyone this week. But I feel really happy and content. I no longer use my mobile phone. I don't email anyone and I make one phone call a week on my landline. That's to my mother and to be honest I often don't really want to bother. I never speak to my siblings but I think we are all o k.

It's really good to have gotten to this point. no stress, no hassle and the occasional quick hello to the close neighbours if I see them in the street. I'm self employed and can spend weeks just driving to work, working alone and driving home. And better still, we are running into winter when there are even fewer people about. Bliss.

woollani likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What about the local councillor with whom you have been on intimate terms recently?

4. Jude Fawley

Certainly not intimate. But I have had a breakthrough in that she's no longer speaking to me. This isn't a novelty. She doesn't speak to her neighbours on both sides and they're really nice people and happy she leaves them alone. There's a lot of lonely people about and because I live on my own I'm an easy target because there's no witnesses.

I did discover the facts behind the suicide of her last partner. I say 'partner' but it's not that simple. Here's what I know. She worked for the local council and got involved with the head of the council. He had a wife with disabilities. Anyway, they formed a relationship and then he started missing work. Then he went off the rails and started shoplifting and got arrested. Then he killed himself.

Strange world!

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

At least you're free of that entanglement. What about approaching her neighbours?

6. Jude Fawley

I know her neighbours. I know everybody living here. The nice thing is that most people moved here for a quiet life. It really is quiet. There's a lot of social events but no one minds if you don't attend. It would be so easy to go to things but I just find I'm happier at home. I've got novels to read and loads of films to watch. This week I've watched 'Leave No Trace' and 'Tom And Viv'. I'm just about to get back to 'Hotel Artemis' so there's plenty to keep me occupied. I've also just re-watched Nina Conti's 'Her Master's Voice', Plus, I'm reading 'The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall'. There really isn't time for people other than a few posts on here when I'm too tired to do much else.