1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

facist HOD

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dunnocks, May 4, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

A friend and ex colleague who now works in a different school mentioned the name of her new HOD last night.

I know this woman. Was once ( maybe still) in Britain First, and similar. Advocates political violence. ( doesn't participate personally, just thinks others should) was in a major panic once about a laptop taken from her classroom, because of the sites she had been on with it.

Hmmmmmm

2. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Disturbing. Raises questions about whether people's private lives and beliefs should be judged in their job. But as BF have pushed ideas and behaviour that have landed the ringleaders in jail, as well as being repugnant, your friend has a few options.

1. Tell the HT in confidence if she tells your friend anything. Although I suspect ICT support will tell HT first if she's using her work server to access extremist material or contacts, as this goes against Prevent.

2. Tell the police if HoD starts any interesting conversations or is found to be telling students unsavoury things- advocating political violence and hate speech is a crime, I believe. Plus Prevent.

3. Look for another job.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    jlishman2158 and pepper5 like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Surely if this person has a new job, and was investigated for her computer use in the old job, and something untoward was found, then
    1. she will have learned not to do that any more
    2. she deserves a chance to restart with a clean slate.

Much as I wont necessarily support somebody with politics such as this, I am also aware that starting in a new school is a chance for teaching staff to move on both in their practice, and also in how they are received.
    I'd say my usual advice of "let it be" and "it's not yours to deal with" and "we all deserve a second chance" is good advice here.
    She is running a department, and it wont help the department to sabotage her efforts even "just" by casting aspersions behind her back.
    Several other threads recently embracing the same concept. That to monitor somebody informally because you suspect them from past form is never a route to happiness.
    Let them forge consequences with the right people based on what they do, and in their time.
    I'll be honest, if it had been me, I would not have mentioned this to my friend. If my friend had to be led by this person as a new HoD, I'd want them to find out what they find out, and just focus on doing their job.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You know when you do a google search of your name and you find that there are eighty five zillion people with the same name?

Maybe give this poor person the benefit of the doubt?
    Maybe not post gossipy suspicions about members of staff in other schools all over the internet?
    Maybe leave people alone to live their private lives?

I find the ideals of Britain First abhorrent.
    But then plenty of people find my membership of The Sausage Club abhorrent.
    Others find the way I vote abhorrent.

Even if it is the same person, being a member of Britain First doesn't make her unprofessional, nor unfit to teach.

Leave well alone, it's none of your business.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Scintillant likes this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

What she teaches must also impact the decision. If it's maths, I would be less concerned than if it was Humanities, Primary - or in fact almost any other subject.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Report it.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What?

Certainly does if it's my child they're teaching.

-myrtille-, FrankWolley and Mermaid7 like this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

No. All teachers share safeguarding responsibilities and must be held to the same standards.

nomad, jlishman2158, Mermaid7 and 2 others like this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I didn't mention it to my friend. I never reported it at all, largely because it would have been her word against mine, and I couldn't see a complaint going anywhere

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Report what?

newposter, nomad, Pomza and 1 other person like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Extremist political views.

13. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Extremist views but not necessarily illegal ones. If this person is teaching maths say and does not express any opinions in school then I think you need to leave well alone. Where does scrutiny of teachers' private lives end? Fundamentalist Christian? Member of Momentum? Flat Earth Society? Jehovah's Witness?

nomad, sabram86, GirlGremlin and 2 others like this.
  14. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

I wonder if anyone would ever consider reporting a colleague because they were a Communist? After all, this ideology has led to the deaths of “only” around 100m people since 1917. Or, perhaps, people should just stop trying to get others sacked because they disagree with their political views? David Lammy has said that The Brexit Party are “far right”....should every teacher who voted Leave be sacked?

15. Vince_Ulam

The encouragement of violent crime, as intimated in the opening post, is illegal.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  16. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing
    Tough one this - on the one hand we must respect the right of the individual to have their point of view, no matter how much we disagree. On the other hand does this persons values and attitudes have a detrimental effect on the pupils and other staff they come into contact with.
    If they are openly supporting racism and other forms of extremism. e.g. through social media then I believe the school should be made aware.
    First check your evidence very carefully and make sure you have your facts straight.
    Secondly report anonymously or through your union. This is an organisation who have some very violent members and while you should not be afraid, you should be very careful.

dunnocks likes this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

There might be a case to argue here but the person in question would seem to be active in their politics. If a colleague has encountered this person's extreme political views then so too might their pupils.

18. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

If the person who is a Communist is involved in criminal activities or advocating violence towards others such as attacking other people because of the colour of their skin then definitely yes and I would be the first to report them.

19. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Indeed and if the teacher concerned is encouraging hatred online or anywhere else in or out of school then that is a criminal matter and obviously a sackable offence. But the definition is clear. You cannot sack a teacher for just expressing support for Israel or Palestine for example. You can sack someone who openly condones violence and incites hatred though.

nomad likes this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

If they advocate for political violence then yes, of course. I hope that you would do likewise.

jlishman2158, HolyMahogany and JL48 like this.