1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facial recognition cameras - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 2, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Nest Hello is suposed to be good. An internet doorbell with face recignition so you know exactly who is outside.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes
    #sadface #shameful #sorrysorrysorry

nomad, Jamvic and Weald56 like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Facial recognition cameras are bad for public use.

The police themselves can be quite shy about having their own photographs taken:

All of my interactions with the police have been positive but, like many people, I am increasingly concerned by the liberties they are taking and how some individuals among them misrepresent their powers in order to bolster their egos & performance statistics.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Which liberties are these?

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Wow! That's really clever.
    You know, for those who don't have any actual windows.

What would be even better is if you could programme it to deliver certain messages to certain people. For example, the ex calls round to get their clothes back and on ringing the bell they get (via facial recognition doodad) "please go away Brian, I do not love you any more, you are a cuckolder of the worst sort"
    Not only would it deal with unwanted visitors, but it would also place Brian the Broadcaster in deserved and audible public shame.

I suppose I retract my previous statement about this technology, which on second thoughts is a rich seam of slapstick waiting to be tapped.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    needabreak, nomad and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You can see who it is on your phone when you're not there.

LondonCanary likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It gets worse! When I'm not there?
    What for?

I cannot think of a single instance when that would be useful to me.
    Somebody knocks, there's nobody home, they go away.
    And if I were somebody to whom it were useful, I'd be pretty ashamed to have that much silver on display through the front window.

Next you'll be suggesting we set up multiple recording devices in all forests of the world just to prove if any of those falling trees actually make a sound. Let's finally put that one to bed.
    Why? Because technology.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes.
    Unless you are breaking the law or being an ****.

nomad likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Perhaps not for you but for others

When you are in your home office at the bottom of the garden you can speak to the peson at the door.
    You can deal with deliveries when ypou are away form home.
    It records the burglars who ring the bell before doing your house.
    It can tell blind people who is at the door.

InkyP, BelleDuJour and needabreak like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Depends how you feel about poetry.

LINK

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Doesn't really matter if we - the public - want them or not... they are going to happen.

Facebook users have even been helping, providing photos showing their ageing process over the last decade so the AI can learn how human beings age.

nomad and needabreak like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Course we could start wearing the hijab more.

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Because Google needs your data and your money. For that it needs to persuade you to part with £180 for the doorbell, £100 for installation and £40 per year for cloud storage. That’s assuming of course that you already have home broadband and mobile data packages that will handle the extra video uploads and downloads without costing you more.
    Signal quality is everything, so one needs to ensure a strong and stable router signal at the camera location, and it also depends on you actually having a signal on your phone when someone interesting enough to talk to ever does turn up (not delivery people obviously, because they won’t be hanging around waiting for you to get your phone out and walk up and down the street to get a signal).

When all of that comes together, you just have the small social challenge of excusing yourself from a chat with your boss, or chatting in the pub to answer your front doorbell.

Don’t forget that this great technology will be able to store all those faces, link them to your profile and be shared by Google for whatever purposes it deems fit. Of course it will be completely safe, private and unhackable right up till it is not.

Must be tempting don’t you think?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019