1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by humbug, Apr 20, 2020.

1. humbug

humbug New commenter

I tried to start a FB page for my tutoring tonight. From what I can make out, you have to pay for an ad campaign, but you can specify what you want and fix a budget for it. It looked a bit confusing, and probably not quite what I want.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to just set up a page like my personal page with my name, that people could search on? I'm not sure this is possible, but has anyone done this and did it work?

I've got really low numbers for language teaching at the moment and need to find more students.

2. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

You don't have to pay for a Facebook business page (I've had mine for about a year and have never paid). You can pay I believe in order to market it further if you wish.

If you just type into Google 'create a business Facebook page', there's several guides that walk you through it.

Kateray1 and Happyregardless like this.
  3. humbug

humbug New commenter

Thank you for this. I will have another go tonight.

4. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I set up a Facebook page just before all of this kicked off due to a friend recommending me on a fb group so I thought may as well set up a page. Honestly I hate fb, so I have personally found it stressful, time consuming without much payoff. Unfortunately there are serval tutors in my local area offering tuition for £5 per hour. I have tried dropping my prices and I got a few enquires which I had to work very hard to get and only 1 has turned into tuition and she has messed me about the last 2 weeks. If you have an large friend and family base on fb and they are willing to like and share your page then I think it may work really well but most of my friends and family aren't on fb and I don't really post to my personal page. Has anyone had success with their fb page?
    To set it up you just go to create a page, they will try to get you to create an advert but you don't have to.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I had a Facebook page for a short while as several people on here recommended it. I got one enquiry asking the price which was already stated. I got a second asking me to reply using some app I'd never heard of. I got rid of it.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I've got a page.
    I get some work from it
    But I do use Facebook

7. Ian1983

Yes, a lot. The most important thing is to make sure people are aware of it and sharing it.

When I first created the page, I posted a link to it on my personal Facebook page and said 'this is my new business page. Please share it with anyone you see looking for maths tuition'. So now every time someone posts 'does anyone know a good maths tutor?' in one of these local Facebook groups, a couple of my Facebook friends will send a link to my page.

Of course the above won't work if you don't have any Facebook friends or if you just create the page and leave it, hoping that people will somehow stumble upon it!

8. humbug

humbug New commenter

Thank you for these other replies.

I don't have a very large FB network of friends, so I'm not too sure how useful it will be. I will probably still have a go though.

Even before the virus stuff, I had more timewasters than ever this year. So people from FT etc, who would usually have turned into good clients, just never really settled in.

I'm on a few tutoring FB groups, and sometimes have enquiries, but only once did one become a serious client. Most ask a few questions and then disappear.

9. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Yes I think that's the key is getting people to share it. I just feel a bit cheeky, the few friends I do have on fb do tag me when people ask for a tutor I just find that lots of tutors get tagged and most of them offering extremely low prices. I may email my current clients asking them to like my page and share it if any of their friends are interested in a tutor. I have started posting daily updated on my page with activity ideas for parents home-schooling their children. Do you post the topics and year groups to you have taught in a week? I have seen a few of the local tutors do that.

10. Ian1983

No. I only ever post when I get availability for a time-slot. There's no harm in posting fun stuff / activity ideas I guess, it's just not something I ever do.

I'd stop worrying about that. If people want to work for peanuts, that's up to them. Their selling point is that they're very cheap. Your selling points should be your experience, your subject knowledge, your expertise, your reputation and your track record of getting great results.

11. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

My fab business page I was lucky enough pre covid to have set up by a VA. She did everything.

ive had no enquires through it , I don’t spend any money on it either, I just post and see what happens.

I have a couple of reviews from previous clients and am followed by current clients.

I am planning a website next hopefully in June. Just keep trying, the more you have a data trail the more people will see it.