1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by TheGingerTeacher, Jan 16, 2016.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Has anyone used Facebook ads?

I am thinking about it, I don't know how best to invest the promotional money so asking everyone I know (which incudes you lot)

Ta

www.facebook.com/thegingerteacher

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I have - for my art (main life interest now I'm retired from the day job) at the suggestion of someone who should know. Finding the audience you want to show your ad to, and on what screen, proved the most challenging. I reckoned to allow myself up to £100 as a trial. Each week I changed things around the £22 mark and I changed the target audience. I got quite a few clicks on my shop, some Likes for the ad (very helpful-not!) but absolutely zero sales! I also tried a Post Push which is only about £8 and tho' that didn't get any sales either I think it was a better way to go and I would do that again.
    You can make a link to your shop from the ad. I see currently your link goes to the States.
    The Facebook advice on how to write an ad was helpful.
    Look forward to seeing what others have done.

Charleei likes this.
  3. TheGingerTeacher

Thanks for the advice. I make most of my money from the other site - which is why the link goes there (but that's a circle isn't it.) I just playing with a few promo ideas at the moment. (Side note I'm pleased to see the weird spam reply has gone)

4. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

Thinking about it for the future, I want to have more to offer before I start thinking about marketing.

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Hello Charleei - Contact me. I don't know what you're selling, but I've just put a notice on here for teachers to make quality lesson plans to go with my poems, and workbooks for the children. I get thousands of teachers from 188 countries who come to my website but here on TES they could be sold too and it brings TES in some good money and I feel TES, too, deserve it. Contact me if it interests you. I've been a teacher all my life and my heart is still in education, working with teachers and with the children for whom I write. I'm lucky because I often get invited into classrooms via Skype and yesterday this time I was with children underneath a tree in the grounds of a charity school in Ghana (via Skype). The children loved to see the snow outside my window. It was the first time they'd seen snow - - -and I loved to see where they were too.

Alice K likes this.
  6. TheGingerTeacher

Sorry I'm not really looking to create with other sellers at the moment I already work with a group and I am incredibly busy with my own projects. Thanks anyway. As for what I sell, have a look at my shop here.

7. wilkieway

wilkieway New commenter

Don't bother with Facebook ads. I have tried it in the past with zero return on investment.

8. TheGingerTeacher

Yeah I have changed my mind about these I don't think they are worth it at all.

9. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Do you know if your content gets seen without it? I have a friend who is an etsy seller who finds her links get buried by facebook. Not that my facebook is active enough to make much of a difference anyway :D

10. languageisheartosay

I find it fascinating to see the stats on my WordPress blog which indexes my TES resources - it shows me the countries, which pages visited, search terms etc. Doesn't sell a thing and my blog 'coffee fund' has about one drop of cold coffee in it for the 1.6 million views I've had on TES for my free resources (many coming via the blog) - but it's all fascinating nonetheless!!! I use Facebook to push my other blog and the views are hopeless even if I pay out to push the posts or take out ads. So - for lots of resources which are for sale I would think a blog with links would be good because you can structure the posts/pages to pick up random google searches and send the searcher to your TES material. If they look up on TES direct, they get everyone else's efforts at the same topic as well!

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

If you have a Facebook page, you can see how many times a link has been clicked, shared, liked and commented on. After a slow start, my page's "engagement" has increased 8900% this week, so you never know when things might suddenly pick up!

12. languageisheartosay

That is some increase! Has it resulted in more sales?

13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

It doesn't link to my TES Resources, and I'm not actually selling anything. I haven't yet checked my web-site traffic since my host has now made it a lot harder for anyone who doesn't use Google Analytics (which I don't want to use because I don't think it complies with the spirit of the law, and there is some doubt whether it complies with the letter of the law on cookies).

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

You could try doing what I did - but it could be a coincidence that traffic went up afterwards.

What I used to do, after posting in a Facebook group is reply to my comment and day something like, "If you each to see more like this then look at [my Facebook page]." That usually resulted in a couple of extra likes.

What I did this week is make the post on my own page and then Share it to the group - that seemed to generate about 10x as much interest. I suppose people don't like being told what to do.

Charleei likes this.
  15. TheGingerTeacher

Jaques that's great advice thanks :)

16. JaquesJaquesLiverot

It still seems to be working - my last post had a "reach" of 1700 and I only shared it with one group.

Charleei likes this.
  17. TheGingerTeacher

Facebook is so hit and miss with me sometimes a random post just reaches loads of people with no clear reason why! I think I am getting better at it though.