1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sweep09, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Sweep09

Sweep09 New commenter

I haven't got that far yet.. are you thinking about it?! x

2. Why do you think 'we' shouldn't be on it?

3. Sweep09

Sweep09 New commenter

Are people offended by the use of the word 'we'?!
    Just because of the risk of kids seeing your account..and yes mine is private..and no I don't go on it at school..yes it is barred..no I wouldnt accept the kids as friends..and no I have nothing dodgy on there..!
    But you never know! I am on there and know lots of other school staff that are but also know people that arent - they say its too risky!
    x

4. I think controlling what legally allowed activities teachers can partake in during their own time isfar more dangerous than the perceived risks of teachers being on Facebook. Banning people from having accounts, or from visiting the pub,or wearing revealing clothing, or whatever other activity they choose to undertake would be highly inappropriate.I am professional from 8:45 to 3:45 195 days a year as required by my contract. Outside of those hours, I am entitled to a life of my own and, providing my passtimes are legal, what I get up to is nothing to do with my employer.

5. If you have the correct privacy settings the children wouldn't even be able to find you on facebook.

6. Up to you ?

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm on there, it is a fab way to keep in touch with people.

No I don't have colleagues as 'friends'. Why would I? I see them every day so have no need.

You seriously think it is risky? In what way so?

There is an letter in the Daily Mail today from a late teen saying how risky it all is. Mainly because her cousins have no clue about privacy and security and have posted details of their house and car, etc. Hmmm so FB should be banned because this girl has stupid cousins?

There are teachers (and probably TAs) who have got into trouble for posting inappropriate things on FB. But I don't think all staff should be banned because some are unprofessional. Some staff have got into trouble because of their inappropriate behaviour in a pub or nightclub. Should all staff be banned from such places as well?

8. I am on FB mainly because I have family world wide and its a great way to keep intouch with them. I will not accept pupils or parents and also explain why not ( we are not allowed) and they are fine about it. Our HT is not a a fan of FB and is always reminding us of the dangers. Its common sense to be extremely careful at all times.

9. I use facebook, but like others I don't accept friend requests form children OR parents and my security settings are highest. I used the number of friends requests (not named children) as part of the internet safety program - some children were only Y2!

10. Sweep09

Sweep09 New commenter

Look, I wasnt saying that we shouldnt be on there! I was asking what people's views were because I have heard different ones! I agree it's up to the individual whether they are on there or not! And I used the word 'we' because I assumed most people on here would be school staff of some sort! Sorry if I was being ignorant.
    Obviously I have the highest amount of privacy settings possible and obviously if a kid (present or former ) should happen to find me obviously I wouldn't accept them and obviously I would block them from trying again!
    Sorry if I have offended anyone! But I wasnt for one minute suggesting that we had no right to be on there! I was just wondering what peoples views were! That's all! Sorry if that wasn't clear with my starting post!
    xx

11. Just because of the job I do it doesn't mean I should lose the right to be in touch with relatives who've moved to Australia, or my old school friends. As long as I'm not a **** who posts stuff like "cor Johnny from 3B is making my life hell" at all... or personal stuff on an unprotected profile... or has half of the PTA on friends list and posts slanging off the school - it's my business.
    Basically don't be a **** or a plonker, remember stuff you post on the internet never really goes away and will come back to bite you forever, and crank your privacy to max. I can't think of anything I'd rather have on my friendslist LESS than colleagues, parents and kids to be honest - I like work to stay at work!
    A friend in secondary regularly changes her name on there to a variety of spoofy ones to avoid friend requests from the kids - it's a bigger problem the older they get... I think I'm pretty securely hidden - I've managed to avoid the family members I've got no intention of adding so far!

12. I agree, I won't stop going on facebook as I have friends all over the world and we find using fb the easiest form of communication. However, you do have to be very careful. I have the highest security settings, would never accept children or parents as friends and have recently come to the conclusion that I don't really need to be friends with colleagues on there either. I wrote a comment about having lots of APP to do and couldn't be bothered as was tired on a colleagues status, another colleague reported it and now we are facing a disciplinary. A big lesson learned.

13. I don't have a FB page but not because I see it as a problem, if used sensibly then it is no problem. The above poster learnt a very hard lesson but a valuable one.