1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dogboy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

One DH i know (not my school), fed up with a couple of staff ignoring the heavy hints he dropped about their rather inappropriate facebook pages - printed out the pictires and comments and posted them up in the staff room. When they protested, he said 'so you haven't seen the ones on the notice board in the main corridor then. '
    cue two sprinting staff

2. How about sacking any staff who are sad enough to have a facebook page?

3. why? Whats wrong with facebook?
    I think it's great, most of the teachers in my school have a facebook account (including the head) we are well aware of the privacy controls and we are cautious about what is posted

4. madcat

Even sadder , I'm with JB on this .
    I'm simply not interested in the minutiae of my colleagues lives and I'm afraid I put anyone over 15 who has a facebook site in the same camp as those people who send those seasonal 'round robin' letters -
    Please don't tell me you do that too madwoman

5. Madcat, considering the site was designed to be a social networking site for univeristy students those under 15 probably shouldn't have a page.

I think facebook is great. Since leaving uni me and my friends have all returned home and unfortunately that means we're hundereds of miles apart. We keep in touch on facebook, but since becoming a teacher I've made sure that my page is private and only friends can see it.

6. madcat

'the site was designed to be a social networking site for univeristy students '
    Ah so that explains the poor work rate of some my charges. I thought they were year 9 but it turns out they're actually 'uni' students.
    (90% of our year 9 have facebook accounts )
    BTW facebook minimum age is 13 .(and the fastest growing age segment is 13 - 17)

7. Why not let the kids follow you on twitter as you go on a pub crawl in the red light district sharing your conversations as part of a sex ed lesson?

8. Well if we banned every single piece of technology that possibly might cause a problem in schools because staff/pupils might misuse it we'd all still be writing on slate!

Surely it is about educating pupils AND staff about responsible eCitizenship? To say ooh ban facebook, teachers shouldn't do this, pupils shouldn't do that is a nonsense. That's like saying 'ban swimming pools, people might drown'.

I think you can only educate people, if they then decide to ignore advice, then on their own head be it.

OP sorry we don't have anything in place atm, but I am looking at this once my cswk marking is done next week.

9. Fully agree...do not post anything anywhere, that you would not show your class or KEEP IT PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. reddhedd

reddhedd New commenter

Couldn't agree more. I dont see the problem in being part of the social network phenomenon as long as that is what it stays - social networking. Anyone entering or already in the teaching profession should have the sense to keep their profiles as private as possible so as not to cause infliction of any kind. Business should not be mixed with pleasure as they say.
    I dont see why schools should 'ban staff from having facebook account' as mentioned somewhere previously, as what a member of staff gets upto in his or her time is technically their own business. But as long as rules and reasonable policies are adhered to then this should not be a problem.
    I have had a facebook account for over a year and am beginning a PGCE course this year but have already filtered and secured my profile before I even enter the classroom. Plus I have actually found facebook quite a bit of help these past few months as there are pages and groups dedicated to teaching and education and its always great to keep in touch with others in the same boat.
    Its pretty simple really, if social networking is a part of your life and you are in this profession then have half a brain and use a bit of common sense. If you are unable to that then maybe this profession is not for you!

11. I have facebook and do not see the problem with it. It is a great, easy and free way to keep in touch with people. In terms of other teachers posting comments all you need is common sense about what you leave for everybody to see.

What are peoples views on adding ex-pupils as friends!

12. It's quite a simple concept really - DON'T ADD STUDENTS TO YOUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS! (Be they current or ex, as ex students may still be in regular contact with current students, or be relatives of them).
    Only add staff and other adults, and then, just keep it sensible anyway. No pics of you drunkenly climbing on bars etc...
    But then, those sort of behaviours shouldn't be happening anyway if you're a teacher as it is below the standards expected by the GTC.

13. I have a couple of ex students on mine. I am always careful who I add and I wouldn't add those who have a younger sibling at the school etc.
    I never put anything on my facebook that I would be embarrassed to show my HT, (and my mum is my facebook friend too!) she is in her 70's so hardly a yr 9 student!

14. Myself and many of my fellow teacher colleagues are on facebook. I love it and think
    it's a great way of keeping in touch with old uni friends who are now located
    all over the globe. I have my security setting set on high and wouldn't ever
    put anything on facebook that I would be embarrassed about.
    We are however, having an issue with some of the TAs using
    facebook. Most of the schools TAs live in catchment area and many are making
    friends with parents of students!! (We are an infant school ages 4-7). I think
    that this is inappropriate. It was mentioned by a colleague at a staff meeting
    and now our HT is suggesting an outright ban.
    Does anyone have any policies I could show the HT which means as professionals
    we are able to have freedom in our own time to still use facebook but that
    teachers and TAs will not accept friend requests from parents?

15. Ha!!!! You actually made me chuckle there. Have a social media policy for the school by all means outlining guidelines, but telling adults they can't "friend", talk to or do anything else with other adults will go down like a lead weight. Good luck with that!

16. margie2

margie2 New commenter

By the way, could someone tell me how to set the private settings so that only my friends can see my page (I've got a Fb page but not in my name, under a pseudo), I'm really rubbish at that sort of thing.

17. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

I don't understand why privacy needs to be enforced. Anyone with some common sense and an awareness of who might read their posts should just realise what they should and shouldn't put on there. Comments about work or colleagues on a public forum are always a No, whatever the medium.