1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook users...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Jun 12, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thanks for this, i had the same issue.

quick google search suggests its code.

It's a Facebook message that gets passed on to girls. Here is a copy of the message I received:

Right girls, were doing it again!! But this time we're really gonna confuse the boys well You know the drill. Here are the options:

Single: I'm moving to london!
    Seeing some1: I'm moving to liverpool!
    Single&looking: I'm moving to Ireland!
    Single&looking secretly: I'm moving to Nigeria
    Can't be ***** anymore: I'm moving to Wales!
    Taken: I'm moving to Paris!
    It's Complicated: I'm moving to Scotland!
    I want a change: I'm moving to America!
    I'm a lesbian: I'm being deported
    I've given up on love: immigration are outside my house
    Let's do it together!...... Pass it on.....

2. Oh, a few of my FB friends have done the same.
    I just felt jealousy, never occured to me there was something else to it!

3. It is one of those really stupid 'lets trick the boys' chain emails.
    I have removed friends from my newsfeed if they have posted this rubbish!

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Thought it was something along these lines. I won't be partaking in this!

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

'confuse the boys'? *** FOR? don't these people have anything else to do?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like you need to send the originator to Coventry.

I'll get my coat.

7. The intention is to raise the profile of breast cancer apparently.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think it's for 12 year olds...

9. That was my immediate thought.
    Are these really grown-ups or it is a teenie thing?

10. I haven't noticed this so far but I daresay I will start to notice it soon.

11. ???
    This FB stuff is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head.

12. FB is a bit of a strange one to me but quite good for keeping in touch with friends for me.
    Anyway, if people want to raise the profile of Breast Cancer charities then why don't they simply hand some cash over? Then the Breast Cancert charities can spend it on proper advertising. Or is that just a bit too old fashioned?

13. I appreciate that but I doubt you do all the other daft stuff that often goes along with it.
    How does saying I am off to Paris/London/Wales raise the profile of breast cancer?
    I just don't get it.

14. considering the number of people who will spend a sunday afternoon on here spoiling others' harmless banter threads, it should come as no surprise that the internet is full of folk with nothing else to do
    cq - my question also

15. Um, I'm on level 101 on Farmville[​IMG] and I really am embarrassed about that! I just got sucked into the competitive element of it amongst my friends (real life friends) and .... arrrgggghh!
    I don't get it either. Is it actually endorsed by the charity/charities I wonder?

16. Last year on Facebook people were asked to change their profile picture to their favourite childhood cartoon character in support of the NSPCC. It was not endorsed or started by the charity and caused a lot of discussion over the benefit/reason for doing so. Many even claimed it was a scam by paedophiles. However it did have a positive effect for NSPCC.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/press-releases/2010/10-12-13-nspcc-benefits-from-huge-facebook-cartoon-campaign/10-12-13-nspcc-benefits-from-huge-facebook-cartoon-campaign_wdn80000.html

17. But I still don't understand how saying "I am off to Paris" increases awareness of breast cancer?
    What is wrong with the pink ribbon? (which is INSTANTLY recognisable).

18. Not sure this one is going to be effective to be honest. There was one for breast cancer before based on bra colours I didn't really get that one either but apparently it was successful. It even made the national news. That was followed by another one for where women put the handbag when they got home, leading to statuses of 'I like it on the floor/on the table etc

I can only assume that the fun element provides a new angle. The 'mystery' of the increasing number of statuses, the curiosity of what it's all about. After all, it's travelled off facebook to here, for example. People can switch off from familiar and traditional methods of raising awareness. There are always leaflets in magazines or posted through my letterbox, they go straight in the bin unread. Whereas the facebook bra status got my interest. I wanted to know what it was all about.

Sorry about the dodgy link in my previous post. I will get around to finding out how to do them properly.

19. The latest one is shoe size.

20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Well it's succeeded in getting on my t*ts ....