1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook user? Warning.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I don't understand why people are getting in such a state over this.
    The only things on your profile are things you have shared (unless your friends are posting things you don't like, in which case you have pretty rubbish friends). If you didn't want people to see it, you shouldn't have put it up there.

2. That is 100% true but we only human. The issue here is Facebook have taken it upon themselves to re-order everything you posted and if you do not edit within 7 days, it all goes public.
    Now a friend of mine has just had this happen. She has been on there years and thought she'd been careful, but up came quite personal and potentially damaging posts and they are now sorted into very, very easy to find year groups.
    Before a snooper would have had to scroll down a few posts at a time and need extreme patience to go back years.
    But you are right, they could still do this with the old style and ultimately it is up to Facebook users to protect themselves for - and this I think is the issue here - Facebook most certainly wll not protect you or your data.

3. On the pointof FB protecting people, why do they not just make a simple, basic profile and bunch all the previous posts offline for you to then cherry pick - and if you don't, <u>none</u> of them are used? They could then say the 'dead post' file is open for a year for editing and using, then it will be emptied fully.
    Everyone happy?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sites like these are also goldmines to solicitors who if will trawl through looking for evidence on individuals or things they may have said to others that can be used against them n court!

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Yes, but only if that solicitor is YOUR FRIEND can they actually see anything you've put. If you have your profile blocked to strangers and ensure that non-friends cannot see your friends list (who may not have their profile quite as secure) then they won't be able to do this.
    Honestly, all this scare-mongering about Facebook is silly. Any sensible person can use it perfectly safely provided they secure their profile. However, the new changes seem to be rather underhand in that they undermine the security settings that many people have been very careful to set up.
    For instance, someone I know who I am no longer friends with posted on a mutal friends wall. I shouldn't be able to click on her name and see anything on her profile - I never could under the old version of FB - yet now that she's switched to timeline, I could see everything. I'm fairly sure she won't have suddenly decided to let me see everything. So I'm worried that people I once had as friends (ex-colleagues for instance who I've since deleted as I no longer trust them) will be able to see things on my profile - nothing sinister but just my private life that I'd rather not share with them.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I understood (and FB claims) that all privacy settings will stay the same.
    Keep your own stuff friends only and don't ever post comment on anything else that isn't also friends only.
    Even that isn't a guarantee. I try to post only to those friends I trust (and who have a friends list which doesn't run into the 1000s)

7. ARGH! I'm glad I read this thread. I thought my facebook profile was incredibly secure, only friends of friends could contact me and only friends could view pictures etc. Having been stalked in the past this was how I wanted it.
    I switched to timeline a few days ago and now when I view my profile as a member of the public certain conversations and photos pop up. This is very worrying, I had just assumed my privacy would stay the same - there were no warnings. There is nothing incriminating just pictures of me on my holidays but all the same I don't want pupils or stalkers seeing them! I have set my privacy settings to 'limit old post visibility' but there are some old photo albums that are still visible, the newer stuff is hidden.
    Can anyone give me advice on how to fix this? I am so angry I am computer savvy and I can't work out how to make everythnig private again,

8. Update: All the items that are popping up on 'public' view are set individually to friends only, so I don't know why it is happening.

9. The privacy of other peoples photos has always been up to them- the most you can do is untag . I used to think as you did, but it was just confusingly worded settings. You can also turn on "tag review" where all posts or pictures you are tagged in will only appear on your profile after you approve them.

As for old posts, nothing is going to be accessible which wasn't already, and privacy settings still apply (eg. Friends only). The difference now is that if someone wanted to see a post from a long time ago, instead of repeatedly clicking"see more" they can click the date and get there straight away.

As about an average Facebook user, it took me a little while to hide all the old things from my profile, but it really wasn't too bad... Try not to panic. I suppose the plus side is it may encourage some people to think more before posting something they may be embarrassed by in a few months.

Xxx

10. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I've removed all my photos until I know exactly how timeline will look on my profile.

11. Facebook have always made it clear that anything posted on their site "belongs" to them.. Why use it? Just email your friends or phone them.

12. But what happens when your photo appears on someone's Facebook and you never gave permission?
    I keep having to ask, via third parties, to get my pictures removed from Facebook accounts and I'm not even on Facebook! It makes me mad that people can take photos and stick them online without the individual's permission.I do my best to keep myself private having had problems in the past but sites like Facebook do nothing to help.

13. sparkleghirl

Hawkgirl, that IS worrying but it could be a glitch with the 'view as' option, it wouldn't be the first time.

14. It's simple really; don't be sucked in by Facebook (social networkiing is meeting up with your mates. E mail means you contact people you REALLY know).
    For those of you who have chosen the route of 'social networking' ...perhaps a lesson learned?
    Sorry, no useful information and possibly I'mjust being a little smug.

15. sparkleghirl

Ah, but Dean, if you're not on FB how do you know your acquaintances who ARE aren't posting pictures of you without your knowledge?

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yet again!

17. I have been using Timeline since Christmas. I went through all my privacy settings when I changed over and if I do a public search cannot find anything to do with my facebook account.
    I have put a limit on past posts so that only friends can see past posts. My default setting is for friends only. You can set photograph visibility to friends only, you can also change the visibility on individual photographs to custom settings.
    I would warn people not to put up a personal picture on the large banner 'cover' picture at the top. As far as I can work out this picture is public and cannot be changed to private.
    I use Facebook not because I am friendless or can't be bothered to use other forms of communication. There is a little bit of unecessary snobbery about using Facebook! Like many people I have family and friends scattered around the world. It is lovely to be able to stay in daily contact with my nieces and nephews who live far away. I spoke to my nephew in America to wish him all the best for his graduation, but what a joy to see his photographs of the event the same day.
    When I was a child my family emigrated to Australia and like most people in the 1960s had no phone so contact was monthly letters. For me Facebook allows me to stay in touch with family in a way that hasn't been possible in the not to distant past.
    I am too old to have any risque photographs and I rarely post but I do soemtimes use Facebook.Every user will eventually be moved to Timeline so make sure you have gone through all of your security settings when you do.

18. Everyone I know knows my strident,, almost virulent views on Facebook and I try to avoid incriminating images of myself being taken...admittedly, I am knocking on now so my party years are probably behind me.

19. The view as function was working the problem wasn't as bad as I thought. The issue was that I had shared the photos in question with 'groups' I have checked and the public can see the two pictures in question, one is of a now defunct rock band and the second is of me with Albert Einstein at Madame Tussauds about 5 years ago! I'm not too concerned about those two pictures although I resent Facebook for making me worry like this!
    As previously mentioned, there is no way to hide your profile picture or cover picture. I noticed that if you have a cover picture and people discuss it , the comments people make are visible to anyone!

20. sparkleghirl

Yes, I have noticed that as well. Don't ever comment on anything that has that little globe symbol next to it is my rule.