1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook user? Warning.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Jan 25, 2012.

1. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Facebook have announced that their new 'Timeline' will be forced upon all users in the next 7 days.
    What this means is unless you take care of it now, Facebook will and this means EVERY post, update and photo from the day you started will be made public.
    No need to ultra panic yet - Facebook will hide your history for 7 days, giving you time to edit. But if you don't, or if you oversee posts, they will become public.
    As analysts have said, maybe you were writing loving posts to an ex but were comfortable in knowing they were delteted way before your met your new partner......they will be there for him/her to read.
    Worse, you may know there are inappropriate photos from years back but again, they were hidden for years before you got your job.....they will be dug up again.
    It will also be an absolute nightmare for frequent or 'old' FB users, as you will need to edit years of posts.
    I think one journalist put it well when he said the founder of FB was a social *** - such a move by FB (the way the do it) is complete evidence of that.

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

If you've deleted a photo from facebook can it 'come back' then? Also, if you have settings so that not everyone can see pictures that your friends have tagged you on then will they now appear? I just want to chat to and share the odd photo with friends who live overseas and a long way away - I don't want any of this nonsense....

3. I do not use FB but it does indeed sound - also from their own blog on this - that, as many suspected, nothing gets deleted. A bit like your home computer, I guess. You can throw files through the re-cycle bin but they are not deleted, just hidden. As said above, it is best to check in daily now and see what they do OR I think you can choose the Timeline yourself right now and it is much, much easier to edit as then they do indeed just move what you have. The nasty one is only if you leave it to FB to set up the timeline. For you, it seems FB are doing all they can to get you over to Google+, or even back to good old Hotmail/Yahoo messenger.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Facebook has a long history of treating its customers personal information as an income source. It makes its money by exposing as much info as it can for advertisers, data mining companies and couldn't care less what use is made of it.

5. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Facebook is a load of old *****. Just that.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

While I hate the look of the new profile, as I understand it all the privacy settings you have already establoshed for old posts and photos will remain in place. The only difference is that they'll now be easier to find for those who have permission to view them.

Am I mistaken?

7. Currently you can 'Hide from Timeline' and 'Delete Post'. I wonder whether this will change?

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

What's getting on my nerves is that Facebook keep changing things and making it really difficult to maintain your security.
    As someone who takes great care to keep my Facebook as private as I can (no inappropriate photos, my friends list carefully managed etc) I get annoyed when I suddenly find that someone to whom I add give limited access is able to see something I hadn't given permission for. When I check my settings, I find that it has been changed or settings have been removed.
    Facebook used to be perfectly fine, provided you were sensible with your settings and remembered that you had to be careful not to post things about work etc that could be reported back and so on. But if Facebook keep changing things without giving its users the information on how to keep their information private, then I'm going to struggle to continue using it.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

In theory the security options are excellent. But there've been a few too many glitches when they make changes or 'upgrades' that it makes me think they're either very careless or doing it deliberately.
    I too am thinking of ditching it. Thing is google is also doing odd things to privacy at the moment.... might have to resort to old fashioned communication methods....

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

As an advertiser on FB, I have to say we can target campaigns to people who 'Like' Brad Pitt, have their relationship status as Engaged, parts of the country, etc. However we are never given any specific info about people (and cannot access any profiles etc), just that from our selctions we can reach however many thousand people.
    Its great for advertising, as there aren't too many ads, the ones you see should be relevant to what you want and for small businesses its cheap to do too. x

11. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

Facebook does not have a long history of treating its customers info as an income source. They do however inform their users that they will sell your information on to third parties. Facebook have always been open about changes. I have had facebook since 2005 and there have been loads of changes since then, always followed by complaints, just be sensible. There seem always to be a load of sensationalist comments about changes.

12. Yes it is true.
    (Unless it is about stuff that really matters)

13. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hate the new timeline, may ditch it too.

14. With Facebook, as with any 'product', if you are not paying for your use of it, then you are the commodity from which they are earning money.

15. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How does it attract business?
    Mine has converted over to the new timeline (a while ago) but still only my friends can see it - nothing has changed apart from how it looks, and you have the option to hide past posts too...

17. 'What's getting on my nerves is that Facebook keep changing things and making it really difficult to maintain your security'. Hmmm, I'm sure if someone drew their attention to this they'd amend their policies immediately and make a concerted effort to respect personal privacy hahahahahaha
    I subscribe to hazeymazey's succinct appraisal of it, nice work. Seriously though, there appears to be a mood of genuine surprise at such deceit, why? We are willingly giving aware our privacy constantly, we've been suckered into this apparent need to share everything with anyone who'll listen - social media is the pinnacle of this deception as they manage to convince you to willingly spread every aspect of your life across the ether in order to feel as though you actually have a life.
    As far as being shocked by fb's lack of integrity and devalueing of your privacy, if you give your sweets to the bully to hold, don't be surprised to come back and find he's shared them all with his mates.
    Social media - a communication revolution or the new opium of the masses. Now stop talking, heads down everyone and fiddle with your gadgets there's 'communicatin' to be done.

18. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Actually, as much as I do not like FB, I do admit the problems it can and does cause are not down to FB itself, but the user. I remember when I did join FB kept sending me 'previous updates' of my partner, and these made me feel sad as they were all about a previous love. But of course - they were only being sent to me because my partner had not cared to delete them or turn them off. It is these people the new Timeline will catch out but I do begin to wonder if such people do not care - they want others to think they are wanted, desired, social high lifers. When I see some on FB having thousands of friends I think again..wow, you probably know less than 50 of those in real life, yet you are letting these people see and share everything about you? So naturally, if that is how you use FB, you will also make sure you look busy and 'special'....even if that means nothing but a special id -iot.

19. I have just looked at some old photos - I has an album that I knew had some pictures deleted - they haven't reappeared.

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

A commonly used misnomer by those who hate it - Faecesbook
    Seems quite appropriate as most of what is on it is pure Sh1t