1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook - removal of content

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ryeland, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

I have aquired a Facebook page. It has been set up by pupils from a previous school. Nothing salacious or too bad yet, but it is going viral with my current class. I do not want this thing undermining me for ever, but would quietly like it dealt with. Unfortunately Facebook does have a "reputation".
    I do not have an account, nor do I want one. I am finding it very difficult to report the page as the forms provided seem to require more information than I have.
    Anyone out there have experience of this, and advice on how to get out of it. It is worrying me.

2. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

I have aquired a Facebook page. It has been set up by pupils from a previous school. Nothing salacious or too bad yet, but it is going viral with my current class. I do not want this thing undermining me for ever, but would quietly like it dealt with. Unfortunately Facebook does have a "reputation".
    I do not have an account, nor do I want one. I am finding it very difficult to report the page as the forms provided seem to require more information than I have.
    Anyone out there have experience of this, and advice on how to get out of it. It is worrying me.

3. http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=798

Don't know if that's any help.

4. Firstly you have to join FB...spurious name - does not matter...
    Report fake FB page to your local police and get a report on it - contact FB and say the page has been reported to the police...this will '*****' up their ears so to speak.

This is a serious matter...don't treat it lightly...

5. I agree.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I am in a similar situation and I can't figure what to do either. I tried to report it but none of the categories really fit. There doesn't seem to be a way to contact FB to explain situation.

7. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

My first encounter with Faecesbook. I am disgusted with the poor programming of their reporting page. Apparantly I was only able to report it by claiming that I was blocked from seeing it. I can see it,and so can my pupils. Anyway I await their reply and I am not optimistic - there is something of the night about this site, it really creeps me out - or at least the trying to report anything to them bit.
    I am taking this seriously. I cannot see how I can involve the polis, as nothing particularly derogatory or offensive has yet been written but this thing is dangerous and I feel that it is a threat to me. It is certainly ruining my relationship with a class and eroding my effectiveness as a teacher.

8. Did you try the link I gave you? It specifically says 'This profile is pretending to be someone and is fake' in the options!! I'd say that was a fairly accurate way of reporting it?

How do I report a fake profile? If you come across a profile that violates Facebook&rsquo;s Terms: <ol>[*]Go to the profile[*]Scroll to the bottom of the left column and click Report/Block this Person[*]Choose a reason for your report (ex: This profile is pretending to be someone or is fake)[*]Choose a report type, if prompted[*]Click Continue to submit your report</ol>

9. https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=report_tos_violation

That is the form that I assume you have used to report the violation? It has a box for describing the violation, I think you can give a fairly accurate description in the box.

10. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Thanks - I had found and tried that before I posted here. Still awaiting a reply.
    It is not an impersonation, more a sort of modern version of an alt. newsgroup only with an unflattering photo.
    Definitely speaking to my union and depending on advice, my old SMT.

Thanks for all the positive advice - and beware folks, I doubt this is in anyway unusual. We may have to just get used to it.

11. Someone made a fake FB profile of me, I do not know who did it but it did not have anything untoward on it. I still did not want it there so I clicked on the profile and you can report the page. I clicked on the option as mentioned by a previous poster saying that this profile was fake. I did not receive a reply from FB but the page has been deleted. Have you checked that it has been deleted?

12. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Still there, and unfortunately no news from FB. It is not a fake page, so falls into a grey area. It has really stirred up one of my more awkward classes.

Will bother them again.

13. It is a fake page if it's pretending to be you and was made without your permission...

14. I agree with mossop, unless it is your page it shouldn't be there. You have no idea what things could end up being posted on it which could have more serious consequences.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The thing is,I get the feeling it's not a fake page pretending to be the OP but a page about him or her. I recently come across such page about me and I cannot find a way to get rid of it either. It doesn't fit in categories and there's no way of contacting FB to explain.

16. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Catmother - you have it in one. I feel expecting it to be moved is the same as a tobacco company expecting a health promoting page being removed. It could be considered an act of censorship.
    There is no scope for accurately reporting it to FB on their forms, and I have reported by shoe horning it into another category without success.
    Next stop, SMT at the school concerned. There was covert photography involved. Shame I am elsewhere right now.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here for what I've tried and same here for having no success. The reporting system is just a stupid drop down menu which doesn't allow contact. I would have thought FB would have contacted me to see why I was reporting the page but no. I've reported it 3 times now therefore the only conclusion is that nobody checks those. The reporting system is only there for them to say that there is a system in place when they are critised.

18. If you want to PM me the page, I'll report it too and that might make more difference if they see it's a couple of pople who have a problem?

19. Teenager sued over defamatory Facebook page.
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/teenager-sued-over-facebook-defamation/story-e6frg12c-1225801635738
    It's Australian but if you google defamatory facebook page there are a few instances in the UK.
    Might have a case to take legal action to get it shut down, but tbh that would probably cause more trouble than would be worth. I guess the option's there if it gets out of hand. Your union will be able to advise you obviously.

20. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

I heard of a glasgow boy who made up a page claiming to be a policeman who had hassled him. The police took it seriously and came to his house to seize his computer. He is to be charged with breach of the peace. It seems that the law can be used- but not sure if this only applies to defamatory postings.