1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook query

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jfield, Jan 20, 2012.

1. A scenario for comment please...
    Teacher who does not have facebook is subject to a comment by a person who does have facebook (relates to his personal life) and he is pulled up by line manager to "make sure he keeps a low profile".
    Surely the person who made the comment is the issue?
    Thoughts appreciated!

2. A scenario for comment please...
    Teacher who does not have facebook is subject to a comment by a person who does have facebook (relates to his personal life) and he is pulled up by line manager to "make sure he keeps a low profile".
    Surely the person who made the comment is the issue?
    Thoughts appreciated!

3. depends, if the 'teacher' was out getting wasted in town and making a public tit of himself / having an affair with a married person / wandering her backgarden in the nude and it's being publically talked about then maybe the head is just offering a bit of helpful advice about his/her life rather than commenting on their 'online profile.'

4. Hi julieacorn, thanks for the reply.
    The teacher who has been warned was doing what pretty much hundreds of teachers and non-teachers do on a Saturday night - having a drink and laugh with mates. Yes, probably had one or two too many but no lap dancing or public disorder offences! He doesn't even have Facebook so has no idea what has been said about him - almost libellous in some ways I think? Can't see why teacher has been warned but has no idea what has been said about him or who by? Would the deputy have to disclose who has made these claims?

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'd have thought the teacher posting photos/comments could be said to be bringing the school into disrepute by publishing things about teachers and making these comments. Especially if the other teachers 'antics' were just normal, run of the mill Saturday-night-out larks.

6. Thanks Eva - those were my thoughts. Now there's just the weekend to worry over it!

7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I would have thought the teacher here has every right to know what the 'accusation' is - although you (OP) make it sound more difficult than it is ....just go on FB and read it. If the head has, it must be public. Even if not, why not just ask the 'friend' out right? As I have said on other threads, I despise FB but it is here to stay. This means professionals either act professionally at all times, or make sure their friends are aware of the need to be extra careful on FB, especially as teachers are such easy prey for gossip and/or easy to frame.

8. Thanks Dumpty.
    Like you I can't abide FB, don't even have it myself. I think my friend (and it really is a friend!) has suffered in the past with homophobic bullying and now feels happy in a small community, but is still aware of how negative things can turn. It's totally wrong of course but unfortunately there are people out there who view gay men as a "problem" and others who don't think before they post. What seems a laugh to them can actually have serious consequences for others. I'm going to have a look at the Code of Conduct etc and see what it says.

9. Maybe it wasn't a teacher who made the comment..........

10. Hi doglover,
    Deputy indicated it was... not even sure if head knows or if deputy trying to resolve by self.

11. I wonder if the deputy saw it or if someone else told him about it.
    I suppose it is possible the person who made the remark has been spoken to as well.
    Fwiw, last year in my daughter's year group, people had started posting about a certain boy, who was not well-liked, particularly as he displayed rather inappropriate behaviour to the girls. Reading between the lines I think he possibly had some underlying condition, which the school probably knew about.
    Anyway, the kids had posted something along the lines of "like this page if you would like to see ************ dead". I told my daughter to steer well clear of it, and I myself considered reporting it to the school. In the end, there was no need for me to.A senior pupil had seen it, and went straight to the head of the year group the next day. Even though it was an issue which was strictly speaking, unrelated to school, the person who posted it and anyone who was involved in commenting or liking, was disciplined.
    Maybe the offending person has been spoken to, but the person has been told to tone donhis behaviour, if living in a small community to protect himself. It isn't necessarily homophobic - or at least I hope it isn't.

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I would think so. What a despicable thing to do.
    I would want to find out who it was, and then send them a 'professionally worded' letter, saying that I was considering taking advice from my lawyer. (Whether I'd got a lawyer or not)

As for being told to keep a low profile by some....... 'deputy': words fail me! What a cheek!

13. If the one saying this is a manager within the teaching profession, then he or she will be fully aware how homosexuals are supported, favoured even, by the law. Therefore it is very unlikely this comment was not serious and likely to cause trouble, for no manager would get involved knowing how protected (officially, if not in reality) gays are. Only the OP's friend knows if he led the FB gossiper to do this - the sad point being that in these days of the truly awful FB, if we are at parties and we see people taking pictures, we should have a 'Facebook pose', which means don't hold anyone, don't do a thing and preferably look away from the camera! I agree the OP's friend should not have to go through this, but I feel there is much more to it than said.