1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook Privacy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 12, 2012.

1. My profile has changed over to timeline and Im increasingly worried that content I put on there 5 years ago can now be quite easily found and viewed. Although my privacy settings are high, I do have people from work/partner/new friends/family on there that I do not want reading/seeing posts I made when I was an angsty teenager embarking upon lifes journey! There is nothing horribly shameful on there, but I used to blog a lot and don't really want those things unearthing.
    Unfortunately, facebook is rubbish and offers no utility to delete whole sections of your past data. I dont want to delete my account as I have a lot of photos on there that are not saved anywhere else (I use it as free photo storage), but I have just stumbled across something called "PickNZip" which is free and apparently stores all your facebook photos on your computer for you. Ive just run it and it does exactly what it says - all my photos are now stored on my computer as a zip file.
    Then I can delete my profile and start again happy knowing that my photos are backed up and my angsty teenagers years are gone!

I just thought it might be useful for others.

2. My profile has changed over to timeline and Im increasingly worried that content I put on there 5 years ago can now be quite easily found and viewed. Although my privacy settings are high, I do have people from work/partner/new friends/family on there that I do not want reading/seeing posts I made when I was an angsty teenager embarking upon lifes journey! There is nothing horribly shameful on there, but I used to blog a lot and don't really want those things unearthing.
    Unfortunately, facebook is rubbish and offers no utility to delete whole sections of your past data. I dont want to delete my account as I have a lot of photos on there that are not saved anywhere else (I use it as free photo storage), but I have just stumbled across something called "PickNZip" which is free and apparently stores all your facebook photos on your computer for you. Ive just run it and it does exactly what it says - all my photos are now stored on my computer as a zip file.
    Then I can delete my profile and start again happy knowing that my photos are backed up and my angsty teenagers years are gone!

I just thought it might be useful for others.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

What a good idea. I may do that. Question: is it not possible to just navigate through your time 'timeline' yourself and delete old posts? It's tricky to do that at the moment because navigating back through your profile is too hard. But oncce you have timeline, you can just click on the year in quesiton and delete everything you want to.
    Is that the case or should I just bite the bullet and delete/restart?

4. It is possible but i've made so many posts on there that it would take SO long to do them all manually.

5. fantastischfish

So, let me get this straight.
    If, for example, there is a person who was once on my friend list, but is no longer, under the new timeline, they would still be able to view everything on my FB up until the point at which I deleted them as a friend?
    Just asking because someone I no longer talk to commented on a mutual friend's status the other day and, out of curiousity, I clicked on their name and could see they now had timeline. I could access everything that had been added whilst we were friends.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Even before the new timeline, and even for people who couldn't be bothered trawling back through your posting history, Facebook had a habit of diaplaying 'previous status updates' of friends at the side of the page - some of them from a long time ago.
    They were/are dependent on your privacy settings of course, but then so is the new timeline.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Nothing has changed - if it was visible before, it's still visible. If it was hidden before, it's still hidden.

8. I know nothings changed, but now it is SO easy to click onto a profile and go right back to someones first posts. Before you had to scroll and scroll and scroll to do this - so it is unlikely anyone bothered. Granted the odd old post popped up at the side, but it was only one or two not the whole lot.
    I just dont like the idea that times of my life when I was with other partners, or blogging about events that I would now rather not be public, are so easily accessible. I also dont want anything I posted before the time of need for extreme privacy could be picked up and potentially used against me professionally.
    I know those things have always been there, but they have been buried in the depths of facebook and now they are visible in a click. That's the difference.

9. sparkleghirl

Granted they don't all appear at the same time. But have you tried clicking on any of them? Every time you click on one, you get a new list at the side.Yes, it's random, and no, you can't guarantee seeing everything, but NOTHING could be guaranteed not to come up there.
    Stop worrying about people seeing your past. Chances are they already have.

10. sparkleghirl

I would definitely hunt those ones out and either remove them or reset the privacy to prevent whoever you think might use them against you from seeing them.

11. You can limit old posts by ticking a box in the privacy section.

12. Its far easier to just delete my account and start again!
    I never said anything terrible, but I did talk about things I'd taught at schools etc and I just dont want any mention of work at all on my page. Hunting them down and deleting those individual posts (or posts relating to an ex boyfriend, or posts posted when I was feeling angsty that I would rather not come back to haunt me etc etc) would just take forever, which is why Im quite pleased ive found a programme that just saves my pictures as thats the only part of facebook I want to preserve :)

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I had a warning thread about this and, understandably, reactions were mixed. (That Facebook are forcing all onto timeline and that means your activity on there sorted by default) Since, some people have said no problem with nasties, some have found their entire history marked as public. So yes, if you are worried then delete your account and re-open. It is, I would say, the ONLY way to be sure. Remember, FB does not delete until you de-activate and do not log in for 14 days.....making sure you get anxiety as you worry if your info has indeed been de-activated or not from public view!! Log in and it all comes back up anyhow, needing another 14 day wait....and so on, and so on.

14. I believe there are scripts and macros that you can try, but I didn't bother. I wiped manually. But on timeline, there is a thing called 'activity log', and you can just go down the whole list and delete, even comments on other people's walls. You do have to reset several times, because facebook still doesn't show all the posts at once, and some more keep popping up. And it did take me practically a whole day.

15. The idea you posted is a good one- certainly saves time if you only want to keep your facebook photos :) Thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to mention that, though deleting everything manually can seem a little daunting it seems to take longer than it does because it's repetitive. It's definitely manageable for those who want to. For instance, I am quite a heavy poster and managed to remove everything I didn't want showing (which was most of my posts from the 5 years I have had facebook, being a quite heavy poster in the last 3 years) within a week, while not concentrating much/doing it casually. Even with limited free time the majority of users could clear it within 2 weeks. It is a little annoying to have to but the new profile itself does seem nice.

xxx

16. I think half my problem is that when I try to scroll down my timeline, it keeps flicking back up to the top again making the job near impossible! Apparently its quite a common problem that they've not fixed yet.

17. fantastischfish

I've just deleted my account and started again. It seemed easier.
    I've now set it so that only friends can inbox message me and so that friends-of-friends can search and add me, but not people I have no connection with.
    I haven't put any photos on and have not updated my status as yet.
    The easiest way I could think of to get my friends back was to open the new account before deleting the old one and adding myself as a friend. This way, I got lots of friends suggestions from my old friend list and was able to just send requests. I gave it 28 hours then deleted my old profile.

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I must be dense as I use Facebook every day and I haven't yet noticed this timeline thing. Where is it to be seen?