1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook photos

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dozymare1957, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sorry, but to add to the above as it's also relevent, as quoted in Wikipedia below "Photography and the law":
    "The owner of the copyright in the photograph is the photographer &ndash; the person who creates it,<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12] by default.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13] However, where a photograph is taken by an employee in the course of employment, the first owner of the copyright is the employer, unless there is an agreement to the contrary.<sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]"
    I imagine this to be true for students also.

2. Ya, the victim should take appropriate disciplinary actions against the pupils. But let's hope the head of school will support his teaching staff

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

This is very different to the situation described in the OP (and subsequent posts)...
    No, it isn't. Think of all the compromising photographs of celebrities that are taken every day in public places. Are you suggesting that these are unlawful?
    You are talking nonsense.
    The clause most certainly does not state this. It says "1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence."
    No, they are not...
    Copyright most certainly does apply to photographs taken by individuals of other individuals.
    Or very much of it, if the above is anything to go by.
    I would suggest that you stick to your day job and allow your colleagues to seek advice from legal professionals. So many armchair lawyers out there.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

You really don't have a clue. I respectfully suggest that you do not "imagine" any further. A student is not an employee and is not acting within the course of employment. S.11 of the CDPA 1988 is very clear. It would NOT apply to students.

5. Crowbob, are you a troll - or just a jerk? So far you've said nothing helpful to the person who has asked this question. Your attitude stinks

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Your feedback and opinion is welcomed, Venatrix.
    In my opinion, correcting woefully inaccurate advice on the legal position is helpful to the person involved and those who give it. In any case it is much more helpful than some of the poor and manifestly incorrect advice given here.
    This should be dealt with under the behaviour policy of the school or, depending on how the image has been used, possibly the law on defamation. There, happy now? Have I satisfied your moderation standards, now?

7. I need honest opinion-don't be abusive.

As a trainee I took some pictures of children listening to a story, storytellers entertaining the class, completing a drawing task. We have a closed group on facebook and I posted those pictures on their to share teaching experiences. The photos have no detail of name age school, moreso I asked my Mentor and she said it was fine. However the university told me to take them off,despite having them on a closed group/ Where they right?

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Your mentor is wrong and your university is right. As a professional, you shouldn't be sharing images of other people's children in this way with anyone.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Your university is right. Take them down now. Many (most?) schools state in their policies that te&iuml;achers should not have photos of children on their own devices or home computers, let alone posting them to a social networking site. How can you control what other people in that group will do with those photos? What Facebook could do with them? Do you have permission from the children's parents? Do you know which of those children should not have photographs taken in all, sometimes because of child protection issues? As a student it is important you know NOW what is generally acceptable regarding children's photographs. Posing them on FB without permission is not.