1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 22, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I feel guilty asking for still more advice here but here I go.
    I have posted weekly on my choir fb page, never saying anything negative but aiming to be chatty and a bit fun in order to dispel any impressions that we are a stuffy, elderly, dull group. I've been asked to rejig the page so that we have a closed group for the chat and a public page for info for the general public. I have no idea how to do this as I didn't set up the page in the first place and don't use fb personally.
    Should I start again with a new set up completely with closed and open sections or can I move ahead adding a section for a closed group and stripping out some of the" inappropriate" stuff from the public page. I have had a quick google and felt out of my depth immediately but will look again now I've had a good night's sleep but some general opinions would be a help.
    I'm out this morning but will look in later today to see if anyone has offered any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

There's a difference between a group and a page - which do you have?
    I'm pretty sure that only the person who created a group can change settings unless they've given admin rights to someone else.

emerald52, Jamvic and Lalad like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Can’t you just tell the person who has asked you that you have no idea how to do it? That’s what I’d have to do.

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The art of delegation: refer the person who asked, to the person who set up the page in the first place.

Edit. I wouldn't have a clue either!

Jamvic likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The person who set up the original page now lives in Suffolk. Yhe person who wants the change definitely won’t do it themselves. I’ve spent a couple of hours on it today but can’t see how to do it,

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That made me laugh.:D

Sorry:oops:

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I understood the implications :) it's a long story. Oh dear. This is not going to end well. Some people are going to think I'm sulking if I say I can't do it. I'll have to ask in the choir if someone can do it for me.

8. lilachardy

Is it the group or the page you want to be visible to members only?

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think I need the group to be members only and the page to be public but frankly - whatever works.

10. lilachardy

Shall we do this here or would you like to move to a private conversation?
    I'm thinking it might take several back-and-forth messages!

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Do you have the required permissions to make changes @lindenlea ? You need to be an administrator of a group or page to make changes.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

13. lilachardy

You have a message.

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My advice is drop Facebook and have a WhatsApp group for
    members instead. Public should have a web page not Facebook.

knitone likes this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have a website and that is usually the first point of contact for new members.

emerald52 likes this.