1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook detox.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tolkien28, Aug 16, 2019.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

I last visited my Facebook page on Dec 31st 2018, almost eight months ago. I thought I'd do dry January and it just progressed from there. Do I miss it.....no. I'd got sick of the increasing feeling of it being Bragbook or Boastbook. Look at me, look at my amazing holiday etc. However I never got used to the stupidity of waiting to see how many likes or comments I'd receive for my infrequent posts. It was utterly ridiculous and I wonder if I'm alone in feeling how I do towards it all.

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Facebook is pretty much what you make of it. Who you choose to Friend or Follow. Stop following the boastful ones, use it to keep up with the ones you really care about.

cissy3 and tolkien28 like this.
  3. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I stopped looking at Facebook in January. I’m having a really difficult time at the moment (health related issues) and just got sick of being inundated by pictures of friends’ wonderful skiing holidays whilst I was trying to work and hold my family together. I don’t miss it one bit

I should say I don’t begrudge my friends having a holiday, I just don’t want it rammed down my throat

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I got very bored by the inanity of Facebook a while ago now, so I ''muted'' all the people who weren't interesting to me (eg ex-work colleagues that I never had anything in common with anyway) leaving very, very few people, and I no longer contribute, not even ''likes'', and just pop-in occasionally to see if anything important has cropped up.

Nothing usually has!

tolkien28 likes this.
  5. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

FB is my only social media account. I use it as a news feed more than social networking. All of my FB friends are personal friends and none of them are the type who post narcissistic like-bait. The issue isn't FB but your settings.

lilachardy and blue451 like this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I don't do FB. Never understood the need to read or share the minutiae of life. Just had step grandaughter staying and I've never known anyone take so many selfies, she really is welded to her phone. In some ways I find it sad that she spends her time just taking constant pictures, is this really all there is for young people?

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This. I have "unfollowed" all my friends who post incessant drivel, the remainder post rarely and relevantly. Most of all though I use FB for a few groups I belong to, particular interest groups and the village group which works much better. When you join, the default setting is "floodgates open", you then have to be specific about what you what to see and be seen, it does take a bit of time.

Pre social media we wouldn't hear anything of the witterings of most people other than perhaps an occasional half overheard conversation at the bus stop or in the shops. Now we can see and read huge amounts of drivel. It's not that people have necessarily got worse (though encouraging each other doesn't help in this regard) it's that the output becomes viewable with ready access. It's like when you hear someone bemoaning the standard of English of those on social media and how it is "so much worse than it used to be", I'm not convinced it is, it's more that in the past, most people wouldn't communicate in writing (and not at all in pictures) and certainly not with so many being able to see their output.

Social media is what you make of it, with some extra traps thrown in for unguarded moments.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A few years back I set up a Faecebook account displaying a title graphic saying that if anyone was actually interested I was still breathing and that I had no plans to engage with Faecebook. Then I locked it tighter than the proverbial gnat's orifice so that nothing came in or out of it. I would dearly love to delete it entirely but I can't remember which sodding e-mail address I used to set it up, and that git Zuckerberg really doesn't make it easy for you to hit eject.

It's worth remembering that Zuckerberg conceived Faecebook as a way of assigning scores to female students whom he and his nerdy pals fancied at University. I'm not sure that the fundamental concept of popularity points has changed. It's just a huge advertising platform where nobody tells the truth.

The two small business ventures I operate have no social media presence whatsoever, and they haven't suffered. Opium of the masses dressed up in the emperor's new clothes if you ask me.

9. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Disagree. Perhaps nobody you follow tells the truth but some people use it to share true information and updates with friends and family.

And trivia. Real friends, when they meet in real life, spend most of their time chatting about trivia rather than transcendental stuff. When your friends are far away, whether that's within the same country or scattered around the globe, you miss out on that - it's rare to pick up the phone or write a letter or email to share trivia. Facebook allows you to do that, your friends aren't obliged to respond or engage but those who want to can, as and when they have the time or inclination.

For all its faults, I can't see anything that would replace it for me in enabling me to keep in touch with friends I've made around the world and to really feel as though we are still friends, in regular contact, even if we haven't met in person for years.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Swings and roundabouts. It's been great chatting to people I was at school with. I'd never want to make the effort to meet up but im interested in how they turned out. Also, joining a neighbourhood group has been invaluable in researching my family tree.
    On the other hand, I am receiving dozens of hate posts from total strangers for a comment I made about Weightwatchers' idea of an app for obese kids. I couldnt give a flying one but I can see the vitriol might upset some people.

tolkien28 likes this.
  11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I know of Twitter and Facebook but I've never looked at the websites. Social media is ok but we have to ask is the medium the message? I don't think it is because they are only platforms or spaces for people to converse.

They should suit me but when I gave up on people long ago I wanted to retire from public life while still respecting everyone and their choices. I shouldn't really be on here typing this but for the fact that I'm always right and I have some moral duty to guide you all on the correct path. All this without images!

tolkien28 likes this.
  12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Maybe the skills we build up on social media are transferable to the streets!

tolkien28 likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I don't 'follow' anybody. I simply acknowledge that if you control the output on Faecebook you determine what the truth is for your readers. In that respect it's a huge advertising platform where people for one reason or another draw attention to themselves and create an online persona. Its whole purpose is to extract personal data for targeting advertising messages at its subscribers. If you're going to follow anything, follow the money.

tolkien28 likes this.
  14. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I've joined a neighbourhood Facebook group as it's helpful for finding tradespeople when needed or recommendations for places to eat or things to do etc. Don't use it for anything else.

tolkien28 likes this.
  15. tolkien28

16. tolkien28

The most narcissistic posts are from members of my family, can't really unfollow them.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Why?

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Unfollow isn't the same as unfriend. You still remain connected, but don't see every time they post, only if you deliberately look at their posts. If you haven't looked since December, then it's the same result anyway, except you can still use FB without the barrage of selfies and "we're going for a **** meal" type posts.

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've muted several people there, including my father in law, whose post about putting his dog on a vegan diet really was the last straw for me.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I keep getting told such-and-such has added to their story.

These are not good stories.