1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook, another Q about new timeline and privacy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Feb 8, 2012.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The new timeline includes a big photo as the header alongside the small profile photo we always had.
    FB suggests you set up the timeline and choose your photos because when time runs out THEY will do it automatically.
    How will they select the photo? The main photo is publicly visible, as far as I can tell that can't be changed. Yet facebook say that switching to timeline will not change the privacy settings of anything you already have there.
    Surely this is contradictory? Any photo which is auto-selected for the header will automatically become visible to the public? What if all your photos are friends only or even more restricted?

2. sparkleghirl

The new timeline includes a big photo as the header alongside the small profile photo we always had.
    FB suggests you set up the timeline and choose your photos because when time runs out THEY will do it automatically.
    How will they select the photo? The main photo is publicly visible, as far as I can tell that can't be changed. Yet facebook say that switching to timeline will not change the privacy settings of anything you already have there.
    Surely this is contradictory? Any photo which is auto-selected for the header will automatically become visible to the public? What if all your photos are friends only or even more restricted?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Maybe they will use a default generic photo? I have no idea , I've chosen a photo.
    You can always change it and delete the one they pick, then it will no longer be publicly available. x

4. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

A computer will tend to pick the first photo in your profile album. If there are none there, it will take the next album, and so on.
    Remember, pubicly available means also freely downloadable - I am not on FB but a friend told me to go there and download their holiday photos......as simple as anything. Right click and save to disc.
    And this option cannot be turned off, just limited - friends can always download and keep your photos.
    Not sure wy that surprised me, but it did!

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Unless you set it so your friends can't view your photos.... You are completely in control of who sees what, you know!

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

But then what would be the point of posting pictures, if no-one can see them?

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ask the OP not me!

8. sparkleghirl

Thanks all.
    I know they default picked the banner photos in the old/current profiles but they were only available to friend anyway.

The current profile picture is visible to everyone, but if there are any comments to it, they're hidden by your standard privacy settings. As far as I can see this isn't the case with the new headline photo - it's public and so it and any comments are visible to all.
    Dislike.

9. So I guess the best thing to do is do it yourself before they do it for you
    I chose a beautiful photograph from flickr (or morguefile or one of those) of a frog reflected in in a pond and then made that my banner.
    My profile pic is chosen from one of my photos and just sits to one side. It looks nice but I still would prefer the old version if I had a choice. [​IMG]