1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Facebook and friends

Discussion in 'Personal' started by buick, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I am not a big fan of personal information on the net but I have needed to join Facebook to follow with the times. My question is when someone links me as a friend, can they see when I am checking their pages/photos? And vice-versa? Is there a 'these people have been checking you' link? And can I neutralise the site completely? Everytime I open it I get the private site of a friend and I am not sure I should be reading what she writes. Facebook virgin, me.

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

No, you can't tell when someone has looked at your page, nor if you have looked at theirs.
    If your Friend has stuff that you can read, it's her Privacy settings that are the issue. You can set yours to 'Friends only' for everything, so you control who sees what you chose to share.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Also, if there is someone on FB you don't want to even find you then block them. This means they cannot even see a post from you if it is on a mutual friend's page. It's as if you don't exist!

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

First thing to do is go to the privacy setting and sort them out. There is an explanation here:
    http://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation.php
    You can't see whos looking at you but depending how your set up mutual friends can see conversations you have if its on each others 'walls' If you don't want it seen, send it by a private message x

5. Why do you NEED to join that website? true friends will stay in otuch by other means, wankers will expect you to use Face fuck. Stay strong, remain in the 20th century.

cyolba, seeing another lemming leap from the clifftop :)

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I am an avid FB user, but cannot possibly imagine why anyone would NEED to join it

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I disagree Cyolba. Through FB I have got back in touch with many old friends who have been separated by time and distance. They may not be the closest of friends, but friends none-the-less and it's nice to keep in touch.
    I also keep in touch with overseas friends, and cousins who live far away in the UK and who I rarely see.
    I keep in touch with ex-colleagues and my own offspring who are away at university.
    Sharing photographs is also lovely.
    Yes, there are other, more traditional ways of keeping in touch, but FB is instant, easy and ....well, just another means to an end.

8. ???
    Must admit, I opened a facebook page but have never used it. Do you feel out of the loop because you don't share your life with others? I really don't understand that.
    I seem to manage OK by emailing and phoning those in my social circle. Water goes under the bridge. Some people move on and then can't be classed as 'friends'. There aren't enough hours in the day to try and keep up with people you knew in junior school or worked with years ago.
    Yours is a good question though. I have no idea how the site works but have a whole host of people requesting to be my friend.....and some are merely friends of friends. I just can't cope with it so ignore the site and the requests.