1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face or Figure?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, May 2, 2011.

1. Nigella Lawson says that she will not diet, as losing 3 stone would age her instantly by 10 years. So the decision is which look are you going for? I still think too much weight can be matronly, particularly with a big bosom, but the weight you were in your teens, is not always the best weight to be in later years. So I'd still like to lose a stone - a less chubby face and figure!

2. I do think as you get older if you are very thin it can make you look a bit haggard. My partners mum is really slim and fit but her face looks much older than the rest of her. My mum is a lovely size 16, 20 years older than OHs mum and looks far better, hardly a wrinkle on her.
    Of course a lot of it is in the genes!

3. Tis true. I look much older having just lost two stones. I think you can get away with it when you're younger.

4. Personally the health benefits that come with being slimmer outweigh the cosmetic impact of a few well-earned crow's feet.
    I'm nearly 40 - I'm not scared of looking it. I am scared of being fat and unfit like I used to be.

5. To a point I agree but with most people, me included, it can be the difference of a stone in your healthy weight catagory that can make all the difference to your face. I look fine from about 9 stone 10 to 10 stone 10 but if I get down to under 9 and a half stone I do not look well and certainly look older. I would rather be in the top end of my 'healthy weight' catagory than at the lower end for mainly that reason. Plus, I probably look older because trying to stay at that weight makes me a misery guts!! [​IMG]

6. Mr Para's mum is younger than my own mum and is about a size 6-8, whereas my mum is a 14. Mr Para's mum looks much older than my mum - in fact she looks about 20 years older - it's her skin, she's got really very deep wrinkles. Plus she's more at risk of osteoporosis due to her size and is constantly recovering from minor ailments - if she gets a cold, she 'forgets' to eat and takes weeks to recover. Whereas my mum doesn't have those types of health issues and is still capable of running quite a demanding business.

7. So many women in my family (apart from my mother, who is in her early sixties) piled on the lard after the age of forty, and it doesn't suit them. They look unhealthy. Personally, I think older people look better slim, rather than fat. I think being fat can be very ageing, even if a person is very young.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read Nigella's comments too and she's right to a degree.
    Since the beginning of January I've lost about 1.5 stone and there is no doubt that there a significantly more lines showing on my slimmer face than did when my face was plumper. I still have around a stone I'd like to shift and I'm slightly worried that I'm going to look much older as a result.
    However, whoever mentioned the health benefits of losing weight is also right - although I was slightly miffed that I had my heart attack after losing almost a stone of the excess weight!
    Interestingly, I was told in hospital that there is only so much you can do through diet to lower very high cholesterol levels and that by the time I had the heart attack I'd probably done all I could in the time I lost the stone - to reduce my very high cholesterol (8.8 at the time of the HA) it has taken sterol treatment as the diet would have no further benefits....worth knowing I think.

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

For me, facial attractiveness is more important.
    There's no point in being a BOBFOC
    .... body of Baywatch, face of Crimewatch!
    [​IMG]

10. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

The big mistake the more 'mature' dieters make is they foolishly believe losing weight alone makes all the difference to your looks. It doesn't will just leave you drained and looking ill, as the fatty skin and body shape just shrivels - it isn't toned. The ONLY way to look healthy when dieting as a mature person, is to match the healthy eating with weight training. We are not talking about body building and big, heavy weights - but weight lifting aimed at toning muscles, burning fat and improving your actual posture and body shape - which in a nutshell is actually what we all are aiming for.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Perhaps, dumpty, you could explain how one performs facial weight training. [​IMG]
    I'm perfectly happy with what is happening to my body as I lose weight, less so with my face.

12. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

LOL. Never thought I'd write that!

13. Hmm, crows feet or a double chin? Which to choose?
    Seriously, that comment is very facile and rather immature.
    As you age, your face gets more lines. You can either fight it and moan and complain and spend money on anti-aging creams, or you can accept that you're not 25 any more and make the best of what you have.
    I am much fitter, slimmer and in better condition now than I was when I was 25. The only thing I regret is that I didn't lose the weight sooner. I accept my age and I accept my lines. There's not much else we can do at the end of the day, unless you want to go for surgery and Botox and join the ranks of those who think that this is a good look:
    [​IMG]
    Grow old gracefully. Having a few lines doesn't make you any less of a person.

14. Apology accepted [​IMG]
    Sorry if I was a bit touchy - maybe nearing 40 is getting to me more than I thought - but it bugs me that the idea is out there that one can ONLY be attractive if one has 20 year old smooth skin.
    I reckon I look pretty good (hubby agrees natch), but the tag-line "for my age" is always there on the end. *sigh*

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

The comment was more about people with drop dead gorgeous figures (of any age!) but less than attractive faces. So my response to the OP's question was that for me personally, the face is more important as fatties (like myself!) can always slim down. You can improve your figure but you are stuck with the face you're born with, so to speak. This has nothing to do with age.
    Oh dear, I'm probably digging an even deeper hole for myself ...
    I'll be 37 this summer, so I too am nearing my 40s. In some ways, I can't wait to say goodbye to the stresses of the 30s!

16. I honestly look younger than my female friends, who are also in their fifties.
    I am however considerably heavier than they are......[​IMG]
    My face may well be my best feature actually...(and I am not sure whether I should be crying now or not!) Fortunately, I don't possess a matronly bosom....My two B cup puppies have stayed reasonably perky too, whilst my stomach, bum, upper arms, hips, thighs...and face...have rounded (even more) over the years. I also walk faster than most people, so I haven't developed that waddling gait big people have. I am a size 18, so not massive but definitely not slim either. I feel very young at heart and I think that fools people a bit too..
    So for me, face (not figure) has been OK, but I'd like to lose weight, without a doubt. I am trying.
    I am an apple shape, no two ways about it - but I look OKish from the shoulders up. [​IMG]

17. I must also mention CLOTHES.
    I so envy slimmer middle aged women who look chic and well dressed.
    In my overweight experience, and even if you have a half decent face, you tend to look either frumpy, misshapen or just plain fat when you dress. I might buy my self something that looks good on the rails, yet when I see myself in the mirror I don't look good in it. I envy women wearing clothes I wish I could wear. Looking fat, knowing you are fat, does sap your confidence. (Well, in my experience it does.)
    Like I said...let me sit down behind a high-ish table and I am OK with the bits on show. [​IMG]

18. I think the trick to it all is HOW you lose the weight. Fern Britton aged a lot but hers was so drastic, the skin can't cope, the elasticity has been trashed and then all of a sudden there's nothing there to fill it! If it's done sensibly, with simple exercise and healthy eating over a longer period of time rather than any of these silly diets then I personally don't think it ages as much.

19. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

As a 42 year old bloke I took a good look at my mother's side of the family a few years ago and the shapes that I saw there made me realise that there were a few genes that needed fighting.
    I then took up running and am a lot fitter and slimmer than I was.
    I now run 8-9 miles three to four times a week, I can eat and drink what I want, my craving for the fags is a lot less and my mental outlook is a lot more positive.
    Although I probably do have that pinched look in my eyes that most runners have.