1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face Masks

Discussion in 'Independent' started by andywhizz1, Aug 26, 2020.

1. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Hi all

What is your school's policy regarding face masks in and out of the classroom. I know mine have been debating this but yet to hear.

I have heard the argument from Bojo that we can not teach with masks on us and pupils inside the classroom but I personally can't see why. Sure communication will be hindered slightly but this does not strike me as a good enough reason for not having everyone wearing masks in the classroom.

Any thoughts as the reality of this gets closer?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I suspect we will go in with the best of intentions but human nature and corner cutting will kick in since all these precautions take time, we will end up with masks around our necks, if at all as our braver colleagues go mask less, sanitising when we can find a dispenser that isn't empty, going in when unwell because we cannot tell the difference between covid-19 and seasonal flu, passing things around our bubble and hoping no one we know including us gets a fatal illness.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Senior schools should all have face masks around and about the place, given that's the current guidance.
    If you want to wear one in the classroom, your union will support you in choosing to do so.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  4. nighttrace

nighttrace New commenter

We (senior school) have to wear masks in lessons and in all buildings.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I'm in an independent primary, our head has said to use our own common sense and if we feel we need masks, in certain situations, to wear them.

Had our first day back, teaching, yesterday and it went very smoothly. So much happier teaching in the classroom after Zooming since April.

6. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

One thing I can’t get my head around is the ‘you make your own choice’ approach to masks. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding, masks help prevent you spreading your own plague filled exhalations, ordinary masks/face coverings don’t protect you if other people are infected and unmasked. So the only reason to use your own judgement and be the only one to wear a mask is if you think you might be contagious. The times when I have seen individuals being the only ones with masks I’m pretty sure they are thinking they are wearing them to protect themselves. Unless we all (or all adults at least) wear masks they don’t help. It’s not that I necessarily think we all should wear them, it’s just I think the management line of ‘use your own judgement’ is flawed if people think they are choosing to wear a mask to keep themselves safe.

7. CabbageWhite20

This is an example. Unless I’m wearing a medical mask why would I do this? If I think I’m contagious I should be tested. If I’m worried about the other people infecting me they should wear masks (and I should too of course).

8. CabbageWhite20

There is an argument that wearing a mask is a reminder about distancing. But then there’s a counter argument that it leads to complacency.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree completely and don't understand it either.

CabbageWhite20 likes this.
  10. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

Kids are allowed to wear them if they want to, as are we. Head has said he'd prefer us not to though and they have visors as a comprimise. Equally he did say that if wearing a mask was what it took for us to feel comfortable then that's what it is and to go ahead. Rates in our area are very low though so I feel happy with what has been decided.