1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face Masks

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by perrolobo, Jun 26, 2020.

1. perrolobo

perrolobo New commenter

Is anyone back to school and teaching in a face mask? How is that experience? Does anyone know of a kind of face mask that is suitable for teachers?

Are your students wearing face masks? How long are they able to maintain the mask on their face?

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Not yet fully back so far and I've not seen a single mask here in UK in my school. Unless it's the one of puzzled doubt on the faces of those urging burly year 10s to stand 2 metres apart.

3. libbyg

libbyg New commenter

We wear them all day everyday. So do the kids, and it’s bloody hard work. It’s muffled and I’ve no idea what the kids are saying most of the time. Interesting trying to teach the little ones phonics.but kinda getting use to it now. And happy the kids are keeping their spit to themselves.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

We had to wear it coming in to the campus but rules have been relaxed so we don't have to wear it on campus now. Some people prefer to still wear one though but it's their choice.

5. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

We wore face masks with the kids when they came back last week, and will be wearing masks for summer school.

In our place, the policy is that if you are doing any direct teaching at the front, and you are 2m away from the nearest student, then you can remove your mask. Masks need to be on when working with students. I have a line marked in my room that shows me my "no mask zone". It is helpful for giving instructions and clarifying things to the whole class.

In the classroom, I wear a lightweight fabric mask that has an anti bacterial layer. It isn't as effective as my n95 masks I have for pollution season, but I can't deal with wearing those all day.

6. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

Wear them pretty much all day, every day. Take it off for eating or drinking and sometimes if I happen to be in a room by myself.

They're really not a big deal. Kids have no problems with them either.

7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Gosh, I wish I felt like that. My face is itchy and I’m rubbing it all the time. I do EAL support and we can’t understand each other very well. Even when speaking to my colleagues I can’t understand their muffled responses.

8. karel

karel Occasional commenter

We do not wear them unless 2m apart isn’t possible. In Switzerland the guidance is that children under 16 don’t need to social distance from each other as risk is very small, but they need to distance from the adults.

9. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

We have had them for a few weeks of teaching in Hong Kong. It is okay but definitely interferes with normal teaching (I teach lower school).
    • You would be surprised how much you lip read so communication is tricky.
    • Emotions are hard to read.
    • Wearing a mask makes children reluctant to speak
    • They are uncomfortable to wear in the heat (all day- transport to work too), call me Spotty Muldoon
    • it is hard to breathe if you are exerting yourself (climbing stairs etc)
    However, upside is that we do have kids back and life is much more normal here. Everyone, everywhere (except for a few arrogant expats) has accepted masks as a fact of life until life is back to normal. I would not have been happy to have had UK-style lockdown in my little high rise flat. I pretty appalled at the mess the UK is in.

quinnsafe likes this.
  10. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

we have to wear them here pretty much all the time. But I like others have a section where I don't wear it. I find it hard to talk through the mask and get short of breath if I talk for any sort of prolongued time. The kids seem to be fine with it though. maybe its 'coz its something they do regularly whereas we don't

11. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

I wear a respirator (a proper medical "mask") and it makes speaking harder, but better than dieing!

Kids started well then declined fast especially younger ones. Glad I am now on my summer break.

12. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

I've bought a mask with a clear window in so you can see my lips! I hate the anonymity more than anything, its disturbing and dehumanising for everybody.