1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face Masks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Grandsire, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Since face masks will now be compulsory on public transport (with fines for not wearing them), I thought I'd ask who's wearing masks when they go out and about, and what sort they're using.

I've made a few from cotton layers and elastic. I always wear one when I go shopping because I feel less threatened when other people are wearing them, so I think I should do the same. I know they don't protect the wearer as much as they protect others, but I want to do my bit. After all, I might not know if I'm infectious.

I really can't imagine being in school without one but no other teachers at work are wearing masks of any sort. Only a very few children are wearing them, too.

I don't understand how masks can be compulsory for everyone (bar the very young or disabled) on public transport, and not compulsory in schools. Why do they think there is less need?

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I haven't travelled on public transport since February but out and about in the streets and local shops round my way very few people are wearing them. 5% - 10% maybe? I don't wear one. I might feel differently if I was working but I'm not.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I'm really confused why these measures weren't put into place during or before the peak. Same with quarantine after international travel and contact tracing.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have ordered some disposable ones to wear when shopping. I wanted to see how I find those before looking into the washable ones.

LiamD and Jamvic like this.
  5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

A "face covering", not a "face mask", is stipulated, so a scarf or a bandana can be used instead. I for one am not planning to walk around looking like an extra from "Emergency Ward Ten". What matters more is keeping social distances.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

They would be arguably of more danger if kids wore them. I saw this as I was in China during the breakout and even there they could not get kids (primary) to keep them on.

Worse, the kids are endlessly irritated by the masks (as was I) and they keep touching and adjusting them, meaning should the virus be around (and conveniently trapped on the mask) they are really now the possible 'super spreaders' we often accuse them of being as they then touch everything else around them.

Same here really, if you use one you must train yourself not to keep touching it and change it regularly.

Grandsire, Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've gone for the elongated fitted 'buff' / scarf option.

agathamorse, Dodros and Jamvic like this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I bought some material ones, with a section to put a filter paper in if you want to, about 3-4 weeks ago just in case they made wearing them compulsory. I also got a pack of disposable ones. I probably won’t be going anywhere on public transport but I’ll happily wear them if I’m in the supermarket & local shops. I’ve still no intention of going any closer than 2m to anyone though and I carry hand sanitiser to use for if I put the mask on or take it off again. I won’t be wearing one just walking outside, with the dogs in the fields for example .

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

These are just the best and they unlock your phone.
    [​IMG]

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If they answered text messages too I’d wear one permanently.

LiamD likes this.
  12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't wear a mask out and about. I can't see any point so long as you don't go near people and they are probably more likely to avoid you if you're not wearing a mask. I haven't been on public transport since this started and don't plan to for a while. I've now found a convenient click and collect for groceries and haven't been to the supermarket for over a month so I don't see any need for a face covering.

I doubt if making face coverings compulsory on public transport will work now. Most people seem to have just decided to ignore the regulations and they aren't being enforced. It might have worked if it had been introduced in March.

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  13. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

It’s hay fever season so I’m sneezing like crazy despite maximum amounts of antihistamine. I’ll wear a home-made mask out and about so I don’t get angry people complaining I’m sneezing over them. Plus it’ll double as a hands-free tissue, I guess...o_O

14. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

It's only confusing until you remember that the policy was always to let it spread, let people die.

Ellakits likes this.
  15. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Nooooo!!!!!!
    Re-usable only PLEASE!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

A face mask makes me feel a bit silly. When we first locked down there was a few people wearing them in Tesco but now there doesn't seem to be so many. I saw a chap wearing one that looked like a Darth Vader type thing with nozzles on each side and I couldn't keep a straight face. I put my head down into my trolley and pretended to be rummaging for something because I was pissing myself laughing. It was the best day out I'd had in a long time.

17. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Why do we need to wait to June 15 to wear face masks

18. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Was he also wearing wellies, waterproof trousers and a plastic mac with the hood up and pulled tight around his face? If so, I think you shop in the same supermarket as me...

Honestly, he made me feel like just wearing a homemade mask wasn't really trying!

Bedlam3, chelsea2 and agathamorse like this.
  19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I have a stretchy snood thing, but have yet to venture out to test it.

Rosie, avoids humans as a matter of course. :D

20. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

As long as you also avoid tigers you should be ok!

agathamorse likes this.