1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face masks mandatory nearly everywhere from Monday except schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 22, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

Today's announcement on face coverings makes sense to me. However why are they necessary for every other enclosed space except schools. Surely school staff are at much higher risk than shop workers?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Is this the case? I've not heard or read anything that says this today...

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

4. littlejackhorner

Just announced by the PM. All shop, pub, cafe and taxi workers have to wear masks. The public will have to wear them in a pub or cafe until they are seated.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I thought that this was already happening, or supposed to be.

lardylady likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Face masks will become compulsory for bar staff, shop workers, waiters and taxi drivers in an effort to combat the rise in coronavirus cases in England.

Fines for failing to wear a face mask will rise to £200 and will be extended to customers when they are not seated at a table.

7. littlejackhorner

Most pub staff or shop workers don't wear them at the moment. I think it might have been recommended previously but it's now going to be mandatory.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Farcical.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So it's different for workers, but what difference is there for the public? Don't we already have to wear a mask in all indoor places?

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Wrong-left picture is C-19 in a school; right is a small family group at a wedding.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

There's limits on numbers in lots of shops-the last one I was in would be the equivalent of having about 4 pupils in a classroom.
    Also there seems to be more cleaning, spacing and distancing, and staff who have specific health concerns can choose to work in the office/at home, according to one shop worker I know. She doesn't know whether that applies to all the big chains, but she is very satisfied they're taking safety seriously.

Sally006, Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not a big difference to now. Should apply to all in schools - at least secondary schools.

13. littlejackhorner

In shops yes but if you go into a pub, cafe or restaurant you do not have to wear a mask at the moment( Costa does insist already)

agathamorse likes this.
  14. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Not totally true, If buying takeout you do. Indeed some clearly say if you are queuing then you must wear a mask.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If it's going to be a long haul, it seems like time to carefully choose some fashionable face coverings.

16. littlejackhorner

You are right about the takeaway but I have never either been asked or seen any customers in bars restaurants or cafes wearing a face covering on entry. From Monday this will no longer be allowed. This ruling begins to iron out inconsistencies that never seemed to make sense to me. Why did I need to wear a mask in a shop but the shop assistant didn't? Why did I have to wear one to buy take out food but not to enter a pub or cafe ? Does the virus know to behave itself in certain situations but not others?

Catgirl1964 and needabreak like this.
  17. littlejackhorner

I'd choose effective over fashionable any day

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We have chosen to make it a long haul.

It didn't have to be.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Is it all over somewhere in the world?

20. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Those countries with what londoncanary calls 'totalitarian' approaches have been able to make it a much shorter haul.