1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face Masks. Are people wearing them when they go out?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shakes1616, Apr 7, 2020.

1. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I have not got a face mask or even seen any for sale in any shops but my American friend said everyone in Cali uses a face mask whenever they go out. He said you should be using one to stop catching the virus.
    What are people's thoughts about this? Are many people wearing them? I must admit I haven]
    t seen many people at all wearing them when I go out.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Well I made my own and I'm using it. It's a very fetching shade of blue, if I say so myself.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Where do you get them from? Online? The telly reckoned they weren't very good at preventing infection.

Dodros likes this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Every little helps. You could use that as a slogan

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  5. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Well how come doctors and nurses wear them then as part of their PPE?

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Every little doesn't help. There's very little evidence that they do any good in a non-clinical setting. And if used inappropriately they can actually be worse than not using one. They have to be changed often and can give a false sense of security, leading to people not taking the better precautions of staying in and keeping away from others and washing their hands. At best they may provide a bit of protection to other people from the mask wearer's coughs and sneezes. But you'd rather hope that anyone coughing or sneezing, that is, displaying symptoms, would stay at home. People in California do a lot of things. That doesn't mean they make any sense!

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Because they're in a clinical setting which is completely different.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

WHO have changed their mask advice. Countries with widespread mask use have fared better. It's believed the masks stop (reduce the chances of) the wearer infecting others rather than preventing the wearer from being infected.

9. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

That is what I heard too. They might reduce risk of an infected person passing stuff on but are next to useless as a protection from others. Ones used as PPE in a clinical setting are made to fit and make a complete seal. The pathetic efforts I’ve seen people wearing would be hopeless. They are no substitute for the safe practice of staying at home.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Culturally in the UK the concern is more to protect oneself, and the propensity to transmit to others is not always seen as an overriding social responsibility. Sadly.
    The truth is "I am dangerous to others" is of greater human consequence than "others are dangerous to me".

11. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I tried one and felt that my breathing was restricted. It just didn't feel comfortable. I'll wear one if I absolutely have to and to protect others if I am suffering from cough/cold etc but in any other situation no unless it's the law.

Dodros likes this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I went shopping yesterday morning (first time for nearly 3 weeks). I arrived at a local supermarket before it opened - there were 40 people in the (spaced out 2 m between each person) queue - 4 had face masks, so 10%. I'd say that is probably about the same if one walks around this (non urban) area.

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not entirely.

See: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

The World Health Organization (WHO) has looked at the latest evidence, including whether the virus can be projected further than previously thought.

It wanted to re-examine whether the general public might benefit from wearing masks.

Its experts decided that it remains the case that medical masks should be reserved for healthcare workers, not the general public.

Only two groups of people should wear protective masks, those who are:

• sick and showing symptoms
    • caring for people suspected to have the coronavirus
    Masks are not recommended for the general public because:

• they can be contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes or when putting them on or removing them
    • frequent hand-washing and social distancing are more effective
    • they might offer a false sense of security
    Coronavirus is spread by droplets that can spray into the air when those infected talk, cough and sneeze. These can enter the body through the eyes, nose and mouth, either directly or after touching a contaminated object.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Reluctantly, I queued up (social distancing, marked on the floor) at the post office to post a parcel yesterday. No-one in the queue of six or so was wearing a mask, but the counter staff were. As I paid for my parcel, the man serving asked if I would like any face masks. He produced a pack of 4; looked like they were made out of doubled J-cloth fabric, for £9.99. I declined.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We have noticed mask wearers of several types:

1. A surgical type mask.
    2. Something that looks like a 'cricket box' worn over the nose and mouth.
    3. The 'desperado' type, improvised from a bandana tied over their lower face.
    4. The 'Invisible Man' type, swathing most of the face.

So many wear their masks over their mouths only, leaving their nostrils exposed.

Over the last couple of days, when the weather has been warmer, people still seem to swaddling themselves in coats, hats, and gloves, as if they feared exposing there skin.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What do you mean by masks? I have seen people with scarves wrapped around their faces, bits of cloth, handkerchiefs that made them look like they were robbing a stage coach, surgical masks, dust masks that you would wear if using machine tools. I've seen men with full face beards with them where the mask isn't within 1 inch of their skin. I've even seen a couple with the helmet and hard transparent visor type (the sort you would wear if pouring acid from one vessel to another). When I see someone with a scuba mask and tank I shall be able to shout 'Bingo'!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've got a small boxful of the square masks, bought ages ago online for dusty DIY jobs, but I'm not wearing one on my infrequent shopping trips. However I put latex gloves on for the last supermarket visit, as (to my mind anyway) I see surfaces, handles, keypads, and picked over packaging as the more immediate risk if people are already distancing themselves. I bought a boxful of those the same time I bought the masks.

vimeswithav and agathamorse like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@blazer : There are also the Yasser Arafat and Leila Khaled impersonators.

blazer and magic surf bus like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Leila Khaled - there's a name I haven't seen for decades. You might need to explain it for the benefit of our younger readers :)

(Also worth noting that Yasser Arafat wasn't a character in Boys From the Black Stuff.)

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I was in China during the worst of it and was consistently told off for not wearing a mask. Problem for me was it restricts breathing and made me feel hot. For the same reason the kids just could not and would not keep them on.

They get dirty very quickly and most of us wear them incorrectly.

However, I did find a quite unintentional benefit which was people quickly realise if you cough while wearing one it gets and feels messy - so they don't.

For that reason alone they have my support, that ironically yes the wearer feels a bit smug but has in fact helped others by wearing the mask.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.