1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face masks and specs.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I know this is really trivial in the present world, but have any of you good people got any ideas to stop specs steaming up when wearing a mask while shopping please?

Nanny Ogg and emerald52 like this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If your mask fits well, they shouldn't steam up too badly once the temperature has stabilised. I find the first hour is the worst.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I have posted about this before - the suggested solutions (put shaving foam or washing up liquid on lenses) don't work. I found the best is to pinch the top of the mask close over your nose, and then slide your glasses down your nose so they rest on the mask. Plus try to breathe through your mouth! Not 100%, but is the best way I have found...

Dragonlady30 and strawbs like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Breathing through your mouth removes some of the benefits of the mask though...

5. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I read an article that suggested using medical tape to get a closer fit around the nose.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My shopping trip is a trolley dash. I'm in and out half an hour so the first steamy hour is all I get. Someone recommended Calotherm lens wipe. I remembered inheriting a bottle of that from my mother, who died 21 years ago. Dug it out, wiped the lenses, made no difference at all.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Still breathing into the mask! The way I look at it, it's safer for me to be able to see where I am going than breath though my nose, fog up my glasses and either bump into people, or have to touch by face to readjust my glasses/mask to see!

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Here are some suggestions I hope you may find useful
    a) try holding your breath
    b) poke holes through the mask with a pin to let more air through
    c) get some other mug to do your shopping for you
    d) don't wear your glasses
    e) wear a full face balaclava and carry a rucksack (people move out of your way)
    f) wear a welder's mask;)

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is it like diving masks, spit and rub?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

agree - I try and project my breath downwards as well!

11. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

I deploy this option. It makes for a more interesting trolleyful for those with a sense of adventure! ;)

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Dear Tesco Express Customers at Brinsworth in Rotherham-
    To the person who stole my glasses after I put them down at the checkout last Monday at 8 pm as I was suffering from the mask/fog/spectacles issue-I will find you. I have contacts.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As long as it doesn't turn into a fart.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

The solution is very simple.

Glasses steam up because the build up of pressure inside the mask is too great for your breath to pass through the mask filter material and some is escaping around the top of the mask.

Twist the loops that go over your ears so that the elastic at the bottom of the mask goes over the top of your ears and the part attached to the top goes under the ears. What this does is create slight gaps at the sides of the mask to reduce the pressure build up inside the mask when you breathe and directs the breath that is escaping near your glasses towards the sides of your face instead.

emerald52 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

hplovegame48 likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't wear glasses though, so sorry - no tips/ :-(

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  17. jazzed up

jazzed up New commenter

I bought a pack of self adhesive aluminium nose strips from Amazon to use with my re-usable masks and have found them to be very effective in stopping the steaming up.

18. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Some masks have very poor "strips" that don't create a "seal" around the nose, the main cause of steaming up.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've just bought 50 from Boots. They cost 30 quid and they're too big!

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I thought I should try on the lovely orange spotty mask my friend made me, in case I ever need it. She puts on ties because she's thinks they make a better fit. She has not allowed for the enormous head size of my family.