1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Face creams

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dr Hauschka.

No parabens or any other nasty stuff. Smells lovely too.

2. Lovely stuff, my wedding make up artist swore by the rose cream.
    I have oily skin and find the normalising face oil perfect. I would never have gone for the oil but I am so impressed. You can order trial/travel sizes.
    The rose body oil is just beautiful. When I got married I smothered myself with this at 6am and still had beautifully soft skin at 4am the next morning.

3. Yes - they make great gifts.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Wow - that stuff looks expensive. Do people honestly believe there is a difference between a £5 and a £21 moisturiser? I'm new to this so I have no idea.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

None of them remove wrinkles. All they do is prevent moisture leaving the skin. They put nothing back. If they did they would be medicines.
    Keeping moisture in helps skin feel comfortable and appear smoother. Buy the cheapest you can that you like to use.

6. oh, and if you really are on a tight budget, Vaseline applied to the face apparently does an even better job than the moisturisers. I've never tried it though as I don't fancy the messy pillowcases!

7. Vaseline on your face will give you spots.

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Go and be cheeky and ask for some free samples, most of the time they will be more than happy to oblige. Also, face cream doesn't have to be oily.

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

At 50+ I'm a fan of Boots Protect and Perfect Intense range I do use the serum, day and night crems and the eye cream but only ever buy when it is on 3 for 2 or if I have a £5.00 voucher. Not so long ago I got a voucher for a facial - where they used Clarins the girl doing the facial said she was supposed to recomend Clarins to the customers but because my skin was so good said that I should carry on doing what I was doing!

10. I would agree with marshypops.Go to the make up counters in a department store, Debenhams/Fenwicks and explain you are what you are looking for. I have done this before and once complained that they had given my sister more than me in free samples! They are usually more than happy to oblige. Me myself I am a Clarins girl. I have very sensitive skin and this works well for me, however the exfoliate wash is too harsh.

11. Thankyou all for your help! That seems to have narrowed it down a little. Interestingly Clarins seems to have come up a fair bit. My friend is always saying how lovely it is but I wondered if she was just being a bit of a cosmetics snob.
    BelleDuJour - if only there was a cream that got rid of the bloody things! Prevention is better than cure will be my new motto though.
    Happy new year everyone and thanks again.

C x

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Re the difference in price between creams, Anita Roddick, founder of the BodyShop, said "It's all just oil and water."
    Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter costs £3 a jar (in the baby section) and is recommended by a lot of people - try googling it. I put loads on leave it for a minute and then wipe off the excess.

The most imprtant thing to protect your skin, though, is to wear Sunscreen all the time. Friends laughed at me in my 20s and 30s, I'm in my mid-fifties now and fairly wrinkle free if I do say it myself.