1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fabrice Muamba

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 17, 2012.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

am listening to radio 5 which is covering this non stop, and no good news has been announced on there - where's it coming from?
    i hope its true..

2. Sky sports news are reporting that he is in a stable condition.

3. I was looking on youtube to see what had happened (I don't follow football) and some sick person has already posted a video titled 'RIP Muamba' - very premature and bad taste!

4. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

Sky Sports and the Guardian are reporting a statement from the London Chest Hospital that he is breathing and stable.
    The BBC have been very slow to update all night.
    Huge thanks are due to all the medical staff from Bolton and Spurs, the paramedics and the staff at the hospital from all of us Trotters.

5. There is a joint statement from the hospital and club due any minute apparently.

6. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

He is critically ill in cardiac inensive care :-(
    Thinking of him and his family.

7. I wish him a full recovery, poor lad

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I believe doctors are worried about potential kidney and brain damage caused by lack of oxygen whilst his heart had stopped.
    It's not impossible to re-start a heart, and to get the patient breathing, but if the brain is damaged the person will not recover fully.

9. He's lucky (if he isn't brain damaged) to have made it this far. An ex-pupil of a school I did my final TP at was dead before he hit the ground. Short of screening every single person I don't know what they can do. They are all healthy and well (and heartbreakingly fit) before this just strikes.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes. Very often the heart has stopped minutes beforehand and only when the brain becomes starved of oxygen does the body collapse. By then it is too late.

11. emilystrange

small signs of improvement seen, the hospital says, but still on the critical list.

12. I'm praying that the positive signs will give hope to his family and that Fabrice will recover.
    My younger brother died under similar circumstances, aged 30

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

Italian newspaper websites report a slight recovery.

14. emilystrange

hospital have reported that he's answering questions appropriately, recognising people, and moving arms and legs. still a long way to go, though

15. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

As an athlete and so young, he should have good odds of recovery but as others have said, a lot depends on those early critical moments of treatment. The football teams' doctors are normally brilliant but it cannot be easy to diagnose such a serious heart condition accurately in the middle of a football stadium.

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter