1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fab things for school!! The thread for you bargain buys and ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ilovemarmite, Jul 18, 2008.

1. The true sign that I am a bargain hunter was when I walked around poundstretcher muttering to myself, "it's a bit expensive in here"!

LOL

I did dither about spending £9 on boxes from Matalan but so cute!

Bought hugebox of legoin charity shop today-£2

I know that is not much help to anyone else- except- don't forget to look in them!

2. Found some fantastic 'stick around' alphabet stickers - £1.20 a sheet (although you need two packs A-M and N-Z!), some excellent art and craft bits, some small, tealight lanterns £2.50 (not lit but hung at a window as a Ramadan lantern) and some small soapstone oil burners £1 (yes h&s issues but they do make the class smell nicer!) I bought all these at The Range in Blackburn.

I don't know if 'The Range' is a national chain ~ it might be just a Lancashire chain. [​IMG]

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

There is a Range in Bristol (Avonmeads if anyone wants to go there - where Staples used to be before that moved!)

4. Not managed to read ALL of this thread yet, but thanks for all the fab ideas everyone!! Typical me, only just reading it when we're back to school tomorrow, but will hopefully still be able to bag some bargains next weekend!!!!

Managed to grab a few bargains myself over the holidays.....

Poundland - has fantastic pencil packs and stationary (perfect for prizes!) and 3-drawer mini cabinet type things (sorry, rubbish description!!!) - perfect for keeping prizes, stationary and goodies in!!

http://www.primaryteaching.co.uk/primaryteaching/ - Fab for stickers, sticker charts, resources etc and also they now have mini date stampers for just £4.99!!! Great for assessments etc!!

http://www.craftpacks.co.uk/ - an AMAZINGLY cheap website, definately a must for teachers!!!! They have loads of resources, very cheap, prizes (rubbers etc) for stupidly cheap prices!!! And they are very quick with posting out orders (I ordered loads of things Friday pm and it all arrived 8am Sat!!!!!

Happy Bargain hunting!!

5. Thanks so much for the craftpacks website CMfawbert. I've picked up loads of bargains for my class over the summer, but the one thing I haven't done is get any rewards/prizes. Know where to go now - was very tempted to put in an order tonight, but will wait for the cold light of day before spending even more money I haven't got!

The jungle buckets, lights etc are all going out on the tables in the morning, makes it worth going into work.

Thanks for the great ideas over the summer everyone.

6. Well, it's off to school today and a chance for me to see how all my bargains look in my classroom.
    Thanks to everyone for all the ideas.
    I would be interested to hear how everyone is using their jungle buckets as not sure what to do with mine.

7. I've used mine on the writing table to put different types of pens in.

8. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

I bought from sponge saucepan cleaners in Wilkinsons. A pack of 20 is £1. I have cut each sponge in half and am using them for drywipe boards to wipe off the writing. I am story them in my mini buckets.

9. Hello everyone , just to let you all know Tesco have some last minute bargains. wipe off calendar boards £1 mini highlighters a pack for £1 and normal sized about 10 i think for a £1, loads of other stuff too...have fun![​IMG]

10. I've been to Woolies and Aldi too - and Staples, Osbournes, Itsapound, CrashBangallop ...... can't you tell I'm an NQT!!

Got a great childrens gazebo from Woolies for £5, laminator pouches £1 from CrashBang Wallop - better than the £16 ones from Staples! and a laminator from Osbournes for £13.99 though it does jam when it gets hot - even with the £16 pouches!! aldI IS great for things you never even thought of - such as animal cushions, beach shelters and vodka!!

WHAT A GREAT IDEA FOR A POST - will keep reading and adding!

11. just to let you know... B & M are the same company ... i don't know if you have any of those in the South?

12. I meant to say B&M are the same company as Home Bargains... whoops :)

13. I assume you mean you bought a finger pupper theatre. But where was this bargain procured?

14. There is one at Ikea. It is carboard and nice and bright. There are finger puppets you can buy too.

15. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

In Woolworths I bought some - 10 compartment organisers for £1 each. They have a lid which fastens to close them and 10 little compartments. I am going to keep coins in them and put one on each table when we do money activities.

16. I bought the puppet theatre aswell from iKEA- it is a tropical island setting- great for my year 2 topics. Bargain at 2.99! also got from ikea role play <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">fjackets and a treasure chest. The chest was £10 but it is huge and ideal for use as my 'writing chest'.

Also got my stationary holders for each table from tescos- they are cutlery drainers and about £2 each.

17. Just in case you've still got a couple of quid - Woollies have a small pirate theme rug for £4 (50cm by 80cm) - nice for a reading corner I thought.

18. Don't know if this has already been mentioned, as I haven't read the whole thread, but Sainsburys have reduced their Science Museum activity kits to half price. Basic music, chemistry, water and weather experiments 2.50 and human body ones, eye, heart, ear and torso for a fiver. Bought a couple for home, but if they are as good as they look may go back to get some for school.

19. These kits (above post) were great, have bought more for home and some for school too. The instructions are really clear, mostly in pictures, and kept my kids interested and doing experiments for 2 hours! (Bit of a record)