1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fab things for school!! The thread for you bargain buys and ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ilovemarmite, Jul 18, 2008.

1. It's the time of year when we're all looking at making our classrooms look fab!!
    One of our teachers has turned her room into a shrine to ikea - nit suggesting we all do that but let's share some ideas.
    She has made a sensory reading area with fabric, fairy lights and lava lamp (I know dodgy on H+S grounds)
    some hanging basketty things
    plastic pockets which hang with a pocket for each child for letters etc.
    I have just been to Dunelm and bought a collection of cushions £1.99 each and have just ordered a couple of inflatble children's chairs from Ebay 99p each!
    What great ideas and/or bargains have you found?

2. It's the time of year when we're all looking at making our classrooms look fab!!
    One of our teachers has turned her room into a shrine to ikea - nit suggesting we all do that but let's share some ideas.
    She has made a sensory reading area with fabric, fairy lights and lava lamp (I know dodgy on H+S grounds)
    some hanging basketty things
    plastic pockets which hang with a pocket for each child for letters etc.
    I have just been to Dunelm and bought a collection of cushions £1.99 each and have just ordered a couple of inflatble children's chairs from Ebay 99p each!
    What great ideas and/or bargains have you found?

3. Tesco - frog pop up bin tidy for £4. Going to be my creative time supply store.
    few new books
    Bottle of absolut peach vodka - £10. Going to have a couple more glasses then go to sleep. Roll on 23rd July, when I will never have to work at the hellhole i have had to spend the last term working at. I hate it.

4. Go for it Lara Jane!
    Anyone found any cool special pens (cheap) for big writing?

5. Home Bargains also sell frog pop up bins..and also ladybirds and some other animal (can't remember what!)..they were quite cheap and would be great for storage!

They also sell a train storage box for about £10 (i think its 3 square compartments/train carriages that you line up to make them look like a train.) Can be used to store books/toys or anything you want!

6. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

The Works sell decorated collapsible storage boxes at 2 for £10.They have various themes including 2 Roald Dahl ones.

7. Wicked witch they sound fab. I'm going to have a look.
    Anyone else?

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

No...I've not found anything yet, but this is a very inspirational and useful thread. Thanks :)

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I love these threads in the summer holidays. We're all so desperate for the end of term and then before we've hardly even broken up we're thinking of next term. It's like all those 'Back to School' signs that appear in M&S in early July!

There's just something about us primary teachers- stationery and storage fetishists, the lot of us!

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

11. lol that is very true Rosie!

12. I wish I had the space for some of these!

35 kids means I've just got space for two cupboards, my desk and their chairs and tables...

13. aaaah i love paperchase!!!! but you are right it certainly aint cheap!

14. Has The Works got a website? Google search brought up loads of useless things.

15. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

16. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Think it's gone bust or something. Last tiem I shopped there it said "The Works - in liquidation" on the bottom of the receipt.

17. I use Wilkinsons all the time. It's got 3 baskets for £1.25 which are great for keeping whiteboards and pens in.

18. ikea - good for storage type things (i have some faux wood desk organisers that we keep whiteboards and pens in opn each table). am looking for plastic baskets to organise my reading corner at the moment. any suggestions?
    love paper chase but only for 'personal' stationary :) x

19. Hi there, I start first teaching post in Sept. My class is small and there are no cupboards, one table for files etc which i can get a colourful box and out underneath! I don't have any space for any reading corners, maths areas or role play though which is a shame as i could go mad buying!

However, I do have double doors leading out onto a hallway which is where books are stored - I am going to make this area nice and comfy but will look round first for cheap things. Matalan have some some great material boxes with lids. Also found these http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/product-view/004/123/5465/...

For pen pots, I have bought tin ribbed plant buckets from Woolies for 1.29 - they are wide enough at top to get hand in for to get the rubber!

x

20. Re: The frog pop up bins/storage tidys that i mentioned in my last post...I've just been to Home Bargains and bought one for £2.49 (so cheaper than the tesco's one which are £4.00) Its really cute! They also do Red Ladybirds and Pink cat pop up bins! As well as matching hanging storage baskets! I think i will be going back to buy a ladybird!