1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

f2 cultural diversity ideas please :-)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gilldyson, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Have you heard of persona dolls? They are great for introducing diversity. You'll get lots of info if you google it but briefly: You use dolls specially made to reflect a particular element of a diverse society so it could be a doll with glasses, with a skin colour under represented in your area, with a story about being bullied, being disabled etc. You start with a doll very similar to most of the children in the class and set up their 'persona' through getting the doll to 'talk to the children. You encourage the children to help the doll solve it's problems. Then move on to a doll the children will be less familiar with e.g. one which is an orphan or one with a disability or one which is a traveller. The idea is to get the children to feel they know the doll and its background and begin to feel that this is something they understand - not something different and potentially worrying
    You need to use a doll which is specially for the purpose and one which could conceivably be seen to be around the age of the children in your class. Don't use the big puppets which you move their mouth as these could easily be made fun of - you need the children to like the doll and be interested in their problems.
    Hope this is useful - if not - sorry for the long ramble.

2. There was a forum recently that had some really good posts.here is a selection to get you thinking.
    I think it is worth considering the 'cultural differences' a little more broadly and you may well find that your class is more diverse than you first thought. I was at a moderation meeting a while ago now when someone suggested that this point is really about accepting that other people do things differently and have different values to you - and of course that these differences need to be respected. Examples that the children can really identify with are things like eating their meals around a table or infront of the tv; having Mum and Dad at home or spending time with Dad only at weekends; spending Sundays going to church then having lunch with the family or visiting Grampy and Gran every Sunday or even going to the supermarket and having lunch at MacDonalds. The differences in family life are huge and all children will have something to contribute themselves.
    <li class="forumPost oddForumPost">Add as a friend488407<li style="display:none;" class="send_message"> Send message [/LIST][​IMG] andalucia:. I was at a moderation meeting a while ago now when someone suggested that this point is really about accepting that other people do things differently and have different values to you - and of course that these differences need to be respected.
    [/QUOTE] This is also the advice in my LA for this point.
    </td></tr></table><li class="forumPost">Add as a friend488407<li style="display:none;" class="send_message"> Send message [/LIST][​IMG] 7 I agree with the above so for example not everyone supports the same football team, families celebrate birthdays / Christmas in different ways, meal times vary in lots of households etc so if you discuss issues such as these you are showing cultural diversity.
    Ask some of your parents or grandparents to come in and talk about their familes and you will definately soon find amazing cultural diversity on your doorstep.
    </td></tr></table><li class="forumPost oddForumPost"><a name="7330214">[/URL]

3. I love this doll idea, so many different possibilities. Thanks Gill!

4. thanks so much for all your help i reaaly appreciate it :)