1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

F1/Nursery new starters

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by becca19, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I am getting my first class of F1 starters this September and have been told to prepare for a lot of children's tears and reluctance to participate. Has anyone got any activities that have worked to engage the children as they come in or tips for settling them on their first few days?

Thank you!

2. I am getting my first class of F1 starters this September and have been told to prepare for a lot of children's tears and reluctance to participate. Has anyone got any activities that have worked to engage the children as they come in or tips for settling them on their first few days?

Thank you!

3. All the usual that they can get on with without pressure (don't try to organise them). Sand; water; building bricks; dressing up; outside play if possible with wheeled toys; toy cars; toy train;drawing; painting; playdough; books. Supply lots of resources; smile a lot; respond to the way children present (do not overwhelm quieter ones). If they cry, don't take it personally. Have a strategy about parents staying/leaving (we say, "Go to the staff room for a drink before you leave, so we can call you if necessary", then we let them know tht their child is coping - hopefully). Sometimes if parent leaves an item with the child, for them to look after, this makes parting easier. Do not deny the child's feeling, empathise rather than challenge, "I know you want mummy, she will be back later", echo back child's statements. It goes without saying - do not lie - "I will ring mummy if you stop crying".
    I hope you have got a staggered intake and opportunities to reduce hours for those struggling to settle.

4. I was in Nursery for 3 years and I'm moving into Reception this year. I agree with the post above. We let the children explore the cont prov and played alongside them. We kept it very simple stopping for milk and snack time and ending the session with a story or singing of Nursery rhymes. We also shortened the session times for those who are upset eg they would stay for an hour each day before parent returned. This was lengthened as the child settled in. Relax and go with the flow. just accept that the first few weeks will be settling in, playing with and getting to know the children in your class. Don't feel guilty about doing just that!