1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFSP Point Scores

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pink blossom, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hi
    Im sure that someone has already asked this question and that many of you may have answered it, but I cant seem to find ....:(
    I am expecting the big O any day now and I have read all the relevant O guidelines etc. My head is very data driven and he collects data at the end of each term!
    So I have a few questions,
    If an average child leaves Reception scoring a 6, does a then average child enter a 2?.
    I have been told previously that a average child makes 4 points progression. Would you agree? And if so, is this satisfactory progression?
    And about how much progression point wise should a child make per term, I think 1 point is expected, 2 would be good progress?
    On another forum I read that all Reception children should be scoring a 4 at the start of the Spring Term! Which would mean that we would expect a child to make two points progression per term?
    Im so very confused.
    I often get achievement and progress mixed up. I know that my child make good progress and they achieve well (almost 98% scoring a 6+ last years at the end of the year) but my head wants me to prove this!!!!!!
    So progress- if a child enters at a 2 and then makes on avergae 1.5 points progress per term (1 in Aut, 2 in Spr, 1/2 in Summer) and achieves a 6 at the end of FS, does this mean they have made satisfactory progress? a child making two points progress per term would make good progress and a child making more that 2 would be outstanding?
    I dont think that things are necessarily always so black and white! In fact I know they are not!!! However, i have to make a judgement on the progress made by the children for each term and Im not sure how to do this?
    Does anyone have any answers to my long winded questions? Thanks is advance!!!!!!

2. Hi
    Im sure that someone has already asked this question and that many of you may have answered it, but I cant seem to find ....:(
    I am expecting the big O any day now and I have read all the relevant O guidelines etc. My head is very data driven and he collects data at the end of each term!
    So I have a few questions,
    If an average child leaves Reception scoring a 6, does a then average child enter a 2?.
    I have been told previously that a average child makes 4 points progression. Would you agree? And if so, is this satisfactory progression?
    And about how much progression point wise should a child make per term, I think 1 point is expected, 2 would be good progress?
    On another forum I read that all Reception children should be scoring a 4 at the start of the Spring Term! Which would mean that we would expect a child to make two points progression per term?
    Im so very confused.
    I often get achievement and progress mixed up. I know that my child make good progress and they achieve well (almost 98% scoring a 6+ last years at the end of the year) but my head wants me to prove this!!!!!!
    So progress- if a child enters at a 2 and then makes on avergae 1.5 points progress per term (1 in Aut, 2 in Spr, 1/2 in Summer) and achieves a 6 at the end of FS, does this mean they have made satisfactory progress? a child making two points progress per term would make good progress and a child making more that 2 would be outstanding?
    I dont think that things are necessarily always so black and white! In fact I know they are not!!! However, i have to make a judgement on the progress made by the children for each term and Im not sure how to do this?
    Does anyone have any answers to my long winded questions? Thanks is advance!!!!!!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but this is from the NAHT
    The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP)is a way of summing up each child`s development and learning achievement at the end of the Foundation Stage. Its primary purpose is to provide Year 1 practitioners with reliable and accurate information about each child`s level of development. Members are reminded that it is NOT a mechanism for agencies such as LAs, SIPs and Ofsted to use as a marker for future achievement, and should therefore play no part in the target setting procedure, or relate directly to KS1 and KS2 outcomes.

Jan Dubiel, Programme Lead, EYFSP, at QCDA,has re-emphasised at a conference this month that:-

It is nonsense to expect every child to make 2 points progress per term on the profile.
    There is no expectation or requirement that evidence is always recorded or documented-practitioners should only record what is significant.

P Scales are designed for children accessing the National Curriculum in KS1 or beyond who are not attaining Level1. They are not for EYFS children.

There is NO equivalence between EYFS Profile Scale Points/ scores and National Curriculum Levels.

There is NO reliable statistical correlation between EYFS Profile attainment and NC KS1 at national level.

Demonstrating progress is an issue, however, and schools do need to have a clear rationale of why children are where they are.
    Good, holistic EYFS practice, in Jan`s opinion, tends to manifest itself at ages 11 to 14 in terms of confidence, creativity and self esteem, not at KS1 or KS2 SATs level.

and
    Some scale points, known as "super scale points", with research, appear to have a greater link to KS1 outcomes than others, particularly those that involve creativity, thinking and applying, rather than rote learning. Some specific scale points (the "super scale points") seem to indicate that without them, a child is unlikely to achieve more than 2c at KS1.

• It is therefore not enough to say that the acquisition of 6 scale points is indicative as an acceptable basis for the next stage; it depends upon the particular scale points achieved.

4. thought the term was 'expected', not 'average' - expected to enter on point 3, and expected to leave on point 6 = 3 points progress during the year. But of course they don't all make expected progress - because they are individuals!

5. Had visit from ofsted recently - he looked at online entry data - and asked of our end of year targets - was very thorough - talked about being sure of statements and wheter children enter below, broadly in line or in line with national to ensure showing the true picture at the end and not selling yourself short - ie progress .
    We look at 3 points progress total = satisfactory 4 and above good progress. remembering children below expected on entry can still show good progress but not meet expected. I use a step tracker to show children on target below and above during the year - after on entry assessment, end feb and june - evidence, assessments and observations backed up.
    hope this is of some use [​IMG]