1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFSP moderation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by treaclepop, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I am due to be moderated next week and have got more and more nervous each week coming up to it!
    Mainly because it seems to have taken me a while to get used to the profile and my initial assessments were too high (I have realised too late I know)
    Really just looking for any support and advice with how to deal with this and whether the moderator is going to be critical of this or more supportive?

2. I am due to be moderated next week and have got more and more nervous each week coming up to it!
    Mainly because it seems to have taken me a while to get used to the profile and my initial assessments were too high (I have realised too late I know)
    Really just looking for any support and advice with how to deal with this and whether the moderator is going to be critical of this or more supportive?

3. I'm being moderated next week. Our external moderator is just another reception teacher from another school, who knows what life's like from our side of the classroom!
    I'm not certain exactly what we'll be doing but I imagine there will be a time for paired/shared observations of children of different ability (8-9's, 4-7's, 1-3's) and then time to discuss the observations, look at any evidence we've gathered, including observations made over the year, learning journals, photographs and the evidence in our heads, which we will use to justify our judgements. If our judgements for these three rough ability bands is deemed accurate then we get a tick for knowing what we're doing!! And we left to get on with it for the rest of the children. If not, then that's what the discussions are for, for us as a team to come to a common understanding of the profile, or specific scale points, as necessary, with others namely the moderator.
    It is what you know about your children that really matters. If you've over-highlighted it won't matter if you can annotate your paper profiles to show the true achievements for your class, especially as data isn't sent in officially till the end of June/beginning of July.